Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,290   Posts: 1,535,386   Online: 750

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I alwas blow my camera out, too. The lint I had was a piece of felt from the cassette.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just on the difference in colour on the Green and Black 'Tmax 400' printing, I've had that too. I bought a few rolls off the (fridge) shelf from different places (I always seemed to run out when I was walking around shooting), some were green, some black.

The last 5 rolls I bought got delivered yesterday, they're in Black, so I presume that's just the new style.

Actually, I just thought that I'd pull one out of the freezer to see, and guess what? There's a bit of the black lint on my cartridges too. I wouldn't say it's excessive, except that now you've got me worried about it getting all over the emulsion. I'll be sure to wipe and blow them properly now before i load them...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    35mm
    I generally hold my camera at waist level, (to create a shadow), with one hand while I load the film with the other. I wonder if I've been getting navel lint into my camera all this time.
    It's an ugly thought.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did as hdeyong suggested and vacuumed off all the cassettes with a shop-vac which seems to have removed all the loose lint. I then sacrificed one roll to see if any lint would get onto the film as it feeds out and noticed five pieces of lint on the emulsion side of the film as I slowly pulled it out. After removing the film, I popped the ends off the cassette, fanned open the shell, and tapped it on a white piece of paper and lint particles came out of it. We're talking about particles that are probably too small to show up in a snap shot of it. I would think that any kind of velvet-like material is going to have some lint, but I've always assumed that film manufacturers have processes that eliminate loose lint.

As chip said, this lint will result in black spots on the print and I think black spots are more difficult to deal with than white spots. But, I can live with five black specs on a 36 exposure roll, so I don't consider this a crisis. I buy almost all my film in bulk and I don't remember ever seeing this degree of link on reusable cassettes. Many of my reusable cassettes are black, so I would never see it on them anyway, but about half have yellow labels on them.

Anyway, I looked through some other film that I have and noticed the same degree of lint on an old (2008) roll of TMax 3200, so part of the problem may be that I've just become sensitized to a problem that has been there all along.

On the other hand, I didn't see lint on any of my Ilford film, but I only have a few rolls of it. I also didn't see it on the two 36 exposure rolls of TMax 100 that I have.

I am now probably doomed to checking every cassette for lint in the future. You know, it's like feeling compelled to check your rear view mirror every time you back up after running over just one stinkin' kid.*

* Disclaimer: This line was meant as humor and should not be taken as advocating that anyone back up their car without first checking their rear view mirror.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This thread is the reason I said "call Kodak". They may not be aware of the bad felt liner for the casettes. Given this thread, I think that the problem is broader than they think and more than one of you with the problem should contact EK!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    This thread is the reason I said "call Kodak". They may not be aware of the bad felt liner for the casettes. Given this thread, I think that the problem is broader than they think and more than one of you with the problem should contact EK!

PE
    Message sent to Kodak:

I recently bought fifteen 36-exposure rolls of TMax 400. Expiration date is 2015, so it is definitely fresh and they were unopened when I got them. Merchant was B&H Photo of New York. The cassettes (all of them) are covered with specs of black lint from the velvet light trap. I sacrificed one roll to see if the lint would be deposited on the film when it feeds out and found that at least five frames would have been affected by the lint (emulsion side only). I would like to have the film replaced, but I am leaving on an out-of-country photo expedition on Saturday.

I have no way to know whether this lint was due to a dirty manufacturing environment or whether the velvet trap is actually shedding the lint. I suspect the latter. While I expect that there could be occasional lint, I wouldn't expect to see it in this quantity. Furthermore, I don't see the lint on the few rolls of Ilford film that I have.

I've decided to just bite the bullet and go ahead and use it since it's too late to order more before I leave. What I'd like to know is whether this lint constitutes a defective product. Might it be due to a change in manufacturing venue or a change in material (such as lower cost velvet). I love TMax film, but this has given me serious pause in deciding whether to continue using it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Or, you could travel with minimum film and buy all new stuff at your destination.

I suspect that the felt is deteriorating with time and the QC group at EK does not know of this. It may involve keeping in some way. IDK. I do know that everyone here with a similar problem should contact EK to get their attention.

Have a good trip.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Or, you could travel with minimum film and buy all new stuff at your destination.

I suspect that the felt is deteriorating with time and the QC group at EK does not know of this. It may involve keeping in some way. IDK. I do know that everyone here with a similar problem should contact EK to get their attention.

Have a good trip.

PE

Thanks, it's been two years since my last photo expedition, so I am really looking forward to it.

For anyone who wants to join in, I just went to the "Contact Us" page on the Kodak website. It's pretty straight forward and fast. I may be gone before they respond, but I will post the reply when I get back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is also an 800 # to call to talk directly to an engineer. It takes time, but does work. Mark Overton here has used it and posted the number in his "boomerang" thread.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is also an 800 # to call to talk directly to an engineer. It takes time, but does work. Mark Overton here has used it and posted the number in his "boomerang" thread.

PE
    I have had ZERO luck with getting a meaningful response from the "Contact Us" t the Kodak web site and second the recommendation to call the phone number instead. The email response is usually days later, never answers the quesiton, often doesn't even correctly reference the question asked, and suggests calling the 800 number.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin