Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,813   Posts: 1,581,578   Online: 925

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

35mm cassette light trap lint

I just received 15 rolls of TMax 400 (36 exp) from B&H and noticed that every roll has a lot of black light trap lint on the outside of the cassette. I have never noticed this problem before, even when I roll it myself). It could be from the manufacturing environment, but it could also indicate that the actual velvet used in the cassettes is shedding and will deposit more as the film feeds out.

Has anyone ever had a problem with this in the past?

This is probably unrelated, but the label on the cassettes is also slightly different. This 400TMax is in black whereas the same film purchased back in 2011 had more green printing. The actual film appearance looks the same. The expiration date on the packages (which were sealed) is 2015.

This is all rather irritating because I also got 100ft roll of TMax 100 as part of the same order and it has an expiration date of November 2013 (2 months later than the 100ft roll I got back in 2011). This film is going with me on Saturday when I leave for a photo expedition to Toronto.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Contact Kodak.

Shooter
    35mm
    Being as how you're pretty short of time, if it were me, I'd vacuum all the lint off of the outsides of the cassettes and go ahead and shoot them. If there are a few bits inside, hopefully they'll get flushed away in the wet process.
    The 100 ft. roll is a funny thing, though. Maybe roll what you'll need right away and freeze the rest? I think the expiry dates are usually pretty generous.
    Do the best you can, and don't let it spoil your trip.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I will clean the lint off as best I can. I might waste a roll and see if the lint is actually falling out of the light trap fabric.

I think the difference in the color of the printing might simply be a cost reduction involving the elimination of the green and red ink. The old red Kodak logo is also now done in black. Of course, the lint might be also the result of a cost reduction (cheaper fabric?).

I will contact Kodak after I get back from my trip. This could be just one more incentive to switch to Ilford, but I don't think Ilford comes close to Tmax in terms of fine grain. My plan was to stick with Tmax until I can't get it anymore (or can't afford it).

Shooter
    35mm
    I understood that 100ft rolls of TMAX-100 had been discontinued, so perhaps you are lucky to get one even if it is short-dated.
    [FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][/FONT]Chuck B

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CJBo001 View Post
    I understood that 100ft rolls of TMAX-100 had been discontinued, so perhaps you are lucky to get one even if it is short-dated.
    This is news to me!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    I just checked and Adorama lists the 100ft rolls, so I must be mistaken. Sorry
    [FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][/FONT]Chuck B

Shooter
    35mm
    I had 1 piece of felt show up in the hood of one of my car shots back in the 80s. Darn good pic too. The film was Plus-X. The felt lint will lay on the film like any other debris.

Shooter
    35mm
    What I mean is that if you have debris on your film when you expose it, you'll have black marks in your print.

Shooter
    35mm
    Now that you mention it, I can recall seeing bits of lint over the years, but only very occasionally. I usually blow any bits of general dust out of the camera "automatically" when I load a film, and I'd never given it any thought. Can't recall any dust marks which I attributed to lint.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin