Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,047   Posts: 1,560,999   Online: 1072

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Pyrocat HD and your Development times?

Hi Guys...

I have some pyrocat HD and I'm going to develop some film this week in it.

I found a small amount of Developing times at the massive dev chart, but it wasn't really enough info for me.

I am going to be developing 120 film.

I'd like to you know your development times for different films in pyrocat. What have you tried, what works well, etc. I guess it would be good to include the dilution you used as well.

I know Leon will have some advice to offer here (he's given it to me before, but I lost it).

Thanks in advance!!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    maybe if we all dump our dev times into this thread we could then transfer it to an article for easy look up.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I develop the 135 version of Tri-X for about 5 minutes at 72 degrees. This is with pre-soaking, followed by constant inversion for the first 60 secs, and then for 10 secs each remaining minute. Water stop for 1 min, then fix.
    RL Foley

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've been doing 1:1:100, 21 degrees, 5 min pre soak, 60 secs inversions then 4 inversions once every three mins, 30 secs water stop and alkaline fix:-

fp4 (ei 64) 16 mins
    Delta 100 (ei 64) 16 mins)
    Hp5 (ei 200) 18 mins
    HP5 in holga (ei???) between 18 and 24 mins (depending on light)
    classic pan 200 (ei 100) 14 mins

I tried some fp4 last night at 1:1:50 same technique as above but for only 12 mins - looks fine and can probably get away with ei 80. I have shot a proper zone I and VIII test roll to refine this a bit but havent dev'd it yet.

good luck melisa - I'm sure you'll like the results

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose
    maybe if we all dump our dev times into this thread we could then transfer it to an article for easy look up.

amen! sounds like plan! I will totally transfer it to a new article.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon
    I've been doing 1:1:100, 21 degrees, 5 min pre soak, 60 secs inversions then 4 inversions once every three mins, 30 secs water stop and alkaline fix:-

fp4 (ei 64) 16 mins
    Delta 100 (ei 64) 16 mins)
    Hp5 (ei 200) 18 mins
    HP5 in holga (ei???) between 18 and 24 mins (depending on light)
    classic pan 200 (ei 100) 14 mins

I tried some fp4 last night at 1:1:50 same technique as above but for only 12 mins - looks fine and can probably get away with ei 80. I have shot a proper zone I and VIII test roll to refine this a bit but havent dev'd it yet.

good luck melisa - I'm sure you'll like the results

A couple questions, Leon. This pre-soak you speak of... is this in water? and as far as HP5 goes, why does everyone pull-process to 200 instead of 400? Can it be done as 400? Is there a simple method to figuring out the times for pushing film in this? and lastly...how long do I fix in the alkaline fixer (i have Hypam)?

Sorry for all the questions... I really want to get this right.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Melissa, it sounds like you are starting to get your feet wet.

Film is under rated to allow better shadow detail.

Pre-soak is in water to promote more even development.

One word of advice, please consider doing your own film tests to get a better idea of capabilities.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've always got full emulsion speed, or very close to it, with PCat HD.
    RL Foley

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverpixels5
    I've always got full emulsion speed, or very close to it, with PCat HD.
    Yep, so do I.

FP4+ (EI 100): 2 min. pre-soak; 8 min @ 21° C/70° F; four tank inversions when starting development, then two every minute.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Melisa- No issue using Hypam as your fixer.

Some suggested starting times that are from other threads (and Posted by Sandy King, giving credit where credit is due )

from Pyrocat and flat scenes....
    I recommend the 1:1:100 dilution for printing on graded silver papers, but if that dilution does not give you enough contrast for VC papers just switch to the 2:2:100 dilution. I seriously doubt there is any scene so flat that it could not be handled with the 2:2:100 dilution with development times of 10-15 minutes.
    from Dilutions and Pyrocat HD
    You choose dilution for the contrast required for a development time of 10-12 minutes. For graded silver papers a 1:1:100 dilution will develop a FP4+ negative to the right CI in about 10 minutes. For VC papers or AZO #2 or palladium try the 2:2:100 dilution with about the same time of development. Low contrast films need about 30% more development time to reach the same CI.
    Personally, when I use my Holgas with a slightly larger than normal aperture (i pulled out that little washer)
    HP5+ - 1:1:100 -16 minutes for 'normal' contrast and light
    1:1:100 -20 minutes for 'lower' contrast and light
    I use the agitation method that Leon posted (the times were suggested by him too)
    for Delta 3200 I have been trying 3:2:100, 30 minutes/40minutes for 'normal'/'low' with 1 minute constant agitation and 10 inversions every 10 minutes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin