Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,602   Posts: 1,622,472   Online: 968

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Quick question abopt rollei 400 infrared

Can I use it with cameras that have the small view filme window in the back?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I admit I haven't tried it, but wouldn't expect it to be a problem if you are able to use regular ISO 400 pan films in the camera. (The Rollei material doesn't extend very far beyond the visible spectrum.)

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, I just ask because efke 820 IR film sheet warn about using the film with this types of camera because of fogging the film, etc. And actually I only got one 2 cameras (35mm) that do not have the window!

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In case of doubt:

-) do a test with the first "unexposed" part behind the leader by letting a lot of sunlight shine into that window at several angles

-) then tape the window on the outside with Aluminium foil (to safeguard the rest of the film and to have something to compare the first strip to)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It could be a BIG problem, IR film is incredibly sensitive, I would never use it in a red window camera without masking out the window.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited.

Shooter
    35mm
    Normally they are not red, more white/light green or orange!

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What windows are we talking about??

The red one for roll-film positioning, as Simon thought, or that foam-sealed window to show part of the type 135 cassette, as I thought?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    It could be a BIG problem, IR film is incredibly sensitive, I would never use it in a red window camera without masking out the window.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited.
    I quote Simon but the question isn't necessarily posed to him alone:

Are we talking about it being safe to check the red window in shade when moving the film to the next frame but ensuring that at all other times the mask is applied? I am thinking here of SFX and Rollei 400S

One day I might want to try both films in my Agfa Isolette which has an aluminium mask to cover the red window but no point in using either film if at no time can the red window be used to check the film position.

Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used the Efke film (with more extended sensitivity) in red-window cameras and been OK as far as the red window is concerned. I did, however, find out the hard way that some visually-opaque bellows (bellowses? bellowsen?) aren't entirely IR-opaque!

It would be prudent to run a test roll anyway---maybe even a torture test in which you leave the red window uncovered and pointing at the sun for a while---but personally I would expect it to be OK, assuming the bellows material doesn't pass IR.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Somebody should risk the money and test, I guess. One might have hoped maybe somebody already (maybe inadvertently) had!

Doing a light leak test, I once loaded regular 400 pan film (TMX as I recall) in my Perkeo II and left it, red window cover open, in the sun at various angles for 15 minutes per exposure, winding a blank frame between tests to catch stuff outside the film mask. I saw no damage attributable to the red window. There was a small mark just on one edge on a single frame that was probably a hinge-related mark. Given that pan film has at least some red sensitivity, I don't think the window color is all that significant.

So that was my logic in the post up-thread. The Efke IR stuff goes further into the IR region and might potentially stir up more problems, but as far as l know neither goes anywhere near as far out as the old Kodak material.

I view testing, bracketing and occasional frustration as a part of shooting IR anyway!

Edit: And while I was fumbling at the keyboard, we got some real input -- thanks Nathan!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin