Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,042   Online: 766

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Clothesontheline, I shipped the box of Ilford paper yesterday, you should have it soon. I included a couple of lumens with it, so be careful when you unwrap the package(they aren't inside the box). They are marked as to untoned and toned. Have fun with the kids, and have fun yourself.

cheers
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    Clothesontheline, I shipped the box of Ilford paper yesterday, you should have it soon. I included a couple of lumens with it, so be careful when you unwrap the package(they aren't inside the box). They are marked as to untoned and toned. Have fun with the kids, and have fun yourself.

cheers
    Thanks so much! I'm looking forward to it.. my main materials arrived today, so I will probably do some tests soon. The paper will be well used!

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Alright, I'm just starting to get into everything, I have a couple quick questions about the chemicals:

Ill be using Kodak Dektol for developing, and the mixing is still a little bit confusing and the package is not helping..

So first, I'm thinking you make a "stock solution" AKA a highly concentrated mixture of water and chem.; The paackage says to use app. 52C emp. water to mix it, which according to this thread is warm/very warm water but not burning to your skin http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/2...ng-dektol.html ..you mix the entire packet of dektol first with about 3 quarts of the right temp. water, followed by enough to get up to a gallon. You can do this mixing in any type of plastic container.. some say you can just shake it up.. others say just stir it in a bucket and then pour it into a container.. suggestions? comments?

Do I have to mix all the powder at once, or can i cut back on the "recipe" and use 1&1/2 and then 2 qaurts for the stock solution? or a similar ratio?

Once obtaining the stock solution and probably letting it dissolve/sit overnight ill use it the next day/days.

This is where you use the ratios of developer(stock solution) : water... correct? So for instance I could mix up a batch of developer 1 part stock solution to 2(normal dillution) or 9 parts(suggested for my project) water to fill up the trays about 1.2 inch? How should I mix it? In another jug and then immediately have the ability to pour it into the tray? At that point, Im thinking the developer should be chilled with a bag of ice down to 68F.. anyways to tell the temp w/o a thermometer?

I have the same questions for the fixer aswell. Your answers are dearly appreciated!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do NOT shake the developer to stir!!! This introduces oxygen into the developer which shortens the working life of the chems. Mix at least the day before needing it and dissolve as per package directions. Mix in a bucket or other vessel large enough to hold full contents plus room to stir, and allow to cool over night. Further dilution is achieved by mixing stock solution to working strength with room temp water.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with Rick, it would be better if you could mix up stock solution the day before. And 1:8 or 1:9 for the paper negatives, but then 1:2 for your contact prints! The stock solution keeps well.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Any comments on the other questions? Does the process I have mentioned sound correct?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For what it's worth, I keep two bottles of dektol ( I buy the 1 liter envelopes, so I'm not dealing with a gallon, but it should be the same idea. ) One is stock solution. The other is "working solution" diluted 1:2. I pour from the working solution bottle whenever I develop prints or paper negatives, diluting more at that point as needed. When it's all gone I make a new bottle of working solution from the stock.

Do use the hot water to mix, I've heard stories that dektol can be hard to mix if the water is cold. I've never tried mixing less than the full envelope, but I've read that it might be difficult... don't know about that.

For fixer, I mix up 250 ml at a time to the strength I need, and use it up. For tray processing, I'd guess 500ml should do. This is from liquid rapid fix concentrate, so it would be different if you are starting from power.

I think you'll be fine! Have fun!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clothesontheline View Post
    So first, I'm thinking you make a "stock solution" ... Do I have to mix all the powder at once, or can i cut back on the "recipe" and use 1&1/2 and then 2 qaurts for the stock solution? or a similar ratio?

Once obtaining the stock solution ... is where you use the ratios of developer(stock solution) : water... correct?
    Im thinking the developer should be chilled with a bag of ice down to 68F.. anyways to tell the temp w/o a thermometer?

I have the same questions for the fixer aswell. Your answers are dearly appreciated!
    Most often the advice is to mix it all up at once. If you pass the first 3 quarts through a filter, there may be some chemicals that don't dissolve well in concentrate. When that happens to me, I pour the last part of fresh water over the filter to dissolve the final grains.

Yes, the stock solution is a little concentrated, so then you mix _that_ 1:2 or 1:9 depending. I just pour in 12 ounces stock + 24 ounces water right in the tray (for a quick example of 1:2). If it's warm out and you have a refrigerator / ice your idea is good to put ice in a baggie and then set that in the tray until it reaches 68-degrees F. Or you can mix 1 part of developer and some parts of refrigerated water with some parts warmer tap water.

68-degrees is a temperature that feels both warm _and_ cold at the same time to your fingers. It's kind of paradoxical, but so long as you feel like your developer is on the dividing line between warm and cold, you are probably close enough for your project.

Fixer depends what you got... Some fixer comes concentrated and you mix with parts of water. Powder fixer usually makes a gallon that you use full strength.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Help! I need someone to answer this ? ASAP. I'm at the camp right now and need a little help with the developing. When I use 1:9 ratioof developer does that mean 1 part water to 9 part developer(100 ml: 900 ml).. or 1part developer to 9 parts water(100ml: 900ml)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1part developer to 9 parts water(100ml: 900ml)

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin