Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,556   Online: 1108
      
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 105
  1. #61
    clothesontheline's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    North Carolina
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Posts
    51
    Just want to make sure we're all on the same page here for fixer; I plan on using Kodak Fixer http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...for_Black.html which contains a hardener.. I would buy Illford rapid fix but its more expensive and I dont want to have to worry about keeping it cool/refridgerating after using it. (The kodak is more handy/easier to deal with since it is powder) Some have said I only need to fix for 2 minutes max, but were you talking about rapid, because they say fixers with hardeners require times around five minutes. Thoughts/Comments?

  2. #62
    clothesontheline's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    North Carolina
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by mesantacruz View Post
    I never saw your question to me sorry... Since this is going to be temporary, the led's seem the way to go definitely, especially since you can actually use them for something else afterwards. I don't know if those leds are safe or not, and looking through amazon, looks like most manufacturers omit the minor details of importance to us at the moment. Since you will be doing this for fun and i think you should not loose sight of that as your main objective, the led bike light on amazon, is sufficient enough. It looks like a red casing over a white led, so i'm not sure. but what you can do, is point it away from your working area so that you get just enough light to see what you are doing. if it is still to bright, then put a white piece of paper or something translucent, so that you still get light but not as strong. Remember, your not making technically perfect pictures, and i doubt you'll get much fogging, IF ANY from this led light, as long as it doesn't directly hit your working area... Just something quick.... when i worked alone in the darkroom at school. i would put the paper in developer 1st step... and wash it... once washed for a couple of minutes, the developer is gone. so for my first practice prints, i would turn on the light or take the sheet outside to see my exposure. OF course, don't do that, but what i want to say, is don't worry much about fogging the paper. it's only for a couple of minutes, and most likely won't happen, and even if it does, it won't be noticeable.

    As for the plastic containers... those are fine, in photography, we want strong durable ones, because we'll be using them for a while, and so they become brittle over the years and eventually crack, but we'll have gotten our money's worth. You, on the other hand, only need a container for one time use... i suggest the cheapest one that can get the job done... these seem good for that... the cheaper the better.
    Now that I've got to looking at the Red LED light pics, I'm not so sure about them..It looks ike some of the white light shines through in the middle of the beam.. which sounds like bad news to me..

    Actually, I could care less at this point; I'm going to stick with those LED's and Ill do what you recommended if they are too bright.

    Thank you for reminding me that this is just for fun and It doesn't have to be PERFECT. Plus the kids could careless if a photo is 1% off because of "fogging".

    As for the plastic containers, thanks for the comments.. before I think you suggested I check the dollar store to see what they had there so I could dispose of the trays afterwards; so i think I will do that b4 I buy any.

    *JUST A NOTE* Yesterday, I saw electronic timers like you use in your kitchen at the Dollar tree.. so obviously for only buck. Sounds like a steal plus they might be really helpful in the darkroom. Maybe you could check your local store.. I might post in a main forum about it.

  3. #63

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    190
    so, first your developer which should be this

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...er_Powder.html

    and you do have the right fixer... if you zoom in it says 2-4 minutes for rc paper, which is what you will be using.
    the hardeners are usually for fiber paper, so you'll be fine with just 2 minutes.

  4. #64
    clothesontheline's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    North Carolina
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by mesantacruz View Post
    so, first your developer which should be this

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...er_Powder.html

    and you do have the right fixer... if you zoom in it says 2-4 minutes for rc paper, which is what you will be using.
    the hardeners are usually for fiber paper, so you'll be fine with just 2 minutes.
    WOW. Missed that one. Thanks for the help! Comments on the red lights/ timers?

    I am good to go.

  5. #65

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    190
    The led's look good, and maybe you should order two, just in case one fails... The timer sounds like a good idea, also, i didn't quite catch if you where gonna have the kids come in with their respective groups, but maybe assigning one to be a time keeper, would be a good idea... Also, since it's only a buck, and could be used for other activities as well. Again, the LED you picked should be fine, but some input from someone else would be nice... also, keep a look out for a cheap red led, at the dollar store, you might find one. I saw another red bike LED, which seemed to actually have a red LED instead of the case being red, but i don't know, i comes all the way from china, and doesn't have the best reviews. Anyway, you should be all set.

  6. #66

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    190
    just found an awesome site.. had been mentioned here before...

    http://www.apug.org/forums/archive/i.../t-102500.html

    this led goes into a regular light socket/lamp socket... and does not fog paper for sure, cheaper version of the one mentioned above, from the same site.

    http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...60-degree/440/

  7. #67
    clothesontheline's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    North Carolina
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by mesantacruz View Post
    just found an awesome site.. had been mentioned here before...

    http://www.apug.org/forums/archive/i.../t-102500.html

    this led goes into a regular light socket/lamp socket... and does not fog paper for sure, cheaper version of the one mentioned above, from the same site.

    http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...60-degree/440/
    Wow. That looks perfect; thanks so much for looking around! I'm not sure why everyone doesn't just buy safe and cheap LEDs like this.. photo marketing is something else.

    I plan on ordering everything in the next few hours, so if you or anyone else gets this, do you think I should get 2 of those; and should I get amber or red?

  8. #68
    MattKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delta, British Columbia, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    12,276
    Images
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by clothesontheline View Post
    Wow. That looks perfect; thanks so much for looking around! I'm not sure why everyone doesn't just buy safe and cheap LEDs like this.. photo marketing is something else.

    I plan on ordering everything in the next few hours, so if you or anyone else gets this, do you think I should get 2 of those; and should I get amber or red?
    The photo-marketers guarantee the spectrum of their lamps - not so with these sorts of LEDs. All it takes is a slight change in production processes to make these LEDs unsafe for darkroom work. As these LEDs are not represented as being usable as safelights, the vendor doesn't have any reason to worry about telling its customers about such a change.

    That being said, I tried some similar LEDs and they worked out, so I am happy.

    Order at least two. I ordered three from the source I used and one was damaged in transit.

    Red is more likely to be safe than amber. If I was ordering now I would get both, because if the amber is safe, it is brighter, but I have other safelights in hand and I have experience testing safelights before use.
    Matt

    “Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

    Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

  9. #69
    clothesontheline's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    North Carolina
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The photo-marketers guarantee the spectrum of their lamps - not so with these sorts of LEDs. All it takes is a slight change in production processes to make these LEDs unsafe for darkroom work. As these LEDs are not represented as being usable as safelights, the vendor doesn't have any reason to worry about telling its customers about such a change.

    That being said, I tried some similar LEDs and they worked out, so I am happy.

    Order at least two. I ordered three from the source I used and one was damaged in transit.

    Red is more likely to be safe than amber. If I was ordering now I would get both, because if the amber is safe, it is brighter, but I have other safelights in hand and I have experience testing safelights before use.
    So if i get those LED bulbs, should I get 2 red bulbs, or 1 red bulb and 1 amber? -The amber looks more like an orange/light color and I know that an OC is typically dark amber, right?

    Or would you recommend your bulb better, http://dx.com/p/18-led-e27-light-bulb-110v-red-5136

    Thanks!

  10. #70
    clothesontheline's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    North Carolina
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Posts
    51
    The room is 12ft x 12ft with about a 10-12 ft ceiling.



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin