Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,877   Posts: 1,520,272   Online: 1133

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexavalent View Post
    Just to add to the cautions already mentioned, formulae often omit the side-reactions and by-products, which can be toxic, unstable etc., etc., etc., and not suitable for pouring down the drain.
    Good point. I remember one side product that caused a lot of trouble when it was released into the enviroment, DIOXIN.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And again, similarities of names should be observed and checked carefully, namely glycin and glycine and dioxin and dioxane. Very different pairs of chemicals with similar names.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Ron,

What's that wonderful rhyme about "thought was H20.... no 'mo"?
    - Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Little Willie was a Chemist
    but Little Willie is no more
    For what he thought was H2O
    was H2SO4
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikola Dulgiarov View Post
    Yes, ether is a b*tch to keep, but commercial ether is supplied with stabilizers added, and up to 5% ethyl alcohol greatly lessens the chance of peroxide formation. Nonetheless, it's not something to fool around with, and even I don't store large samples in my lab.
    Now, on to the topic. I have firm reason to believe that the test tube I have with me contains a sample of glycin I only have qualitative tests that may or may not prove to be sufficient to say. What I've done so far is compared paraaminophenol and the sample that I have in the following manner:
    Resistance to oxidation: the same amount of material is dissolved in 10% sodium hydroxide and shaken. The pAP quickly turns purplish to brown, whilst mty sample remains in a clear solution with a yellowish tinge.
    Treatment with an oxidizer: 50% HNO3 quickly oxidizes the pAP, whilst my sample seems less affected, color indication the same as in the above test
    If you have ideas for any other test that can be carried out, I'd be glad to hear you out
    Edit: I also ran a melting point/boiling point test that puts the chemical I have within the range of glycin and also accurately defines its behavior at elevated temperatures, i.e: browns at 200C, begins to melt at 220, completely melted at 247-8, decomp.
    In spite of all of the cautions thrown out here I am quite impressed with this post. It really does show intelligence and understanding of chemistry and earlier he listed the safety precautions he was using. How often have we read, “Only do this in a fume hood kids.” Well how many of us actually have access to one? (or a melting point device). Most people that try it would probably just do it in a garage with the door open and maybe a fan on. On line it is hard to tell if someone is competent or not, so I always urge caution. I still do here.

I did my graduate level chemistry under a brilliant man who was near retirement. Some of the most important things he taught me had to do with the mistakes he and others had made over his LONG career. While you may be very smart and well educated there is no substitute for experience in life or the lab. Have fun but don’t get over confident in your knowledge and abilities. I don’t really want to admit how many times I was sure of myself until it went very wrong.
    Last edited by brianmquinn; 05-21-2013 at 02:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    That's the one!

Quote Originally Posted by kb3lms View Post
    Little Willie was a Chemist
    but Little Willie is no more
    For what he thought was H2O
    was H2SO4
    - Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nikola;

For a good intro to Organic Chemistry, read Fieser and Fieser.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    double-post
    Last edited by Nikola Dulgiarov; 05-21-2013 at 04:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PE, thank you for the suggestion, as a matter of fact I was just looking up the list of recommended literature and these will make a neat (and substantial - 25 tomes) addition.
    I'm not sure how to verify that I indeed have glycin as a product of my tests yet. Mp is accurate, but the product seems to decompose at a lower temperature, presumably due to impurities. Resistance to areal oxidation is my safest bet so far, literature suggests molybdenium nitrate for a qualitative reaction, but that's not exactly something I can ring up a supplier and ask for. Maybe a solubility test, side-by-side, in Na2SO3 and Na2CO3. I'll think of it tomorrow, after school
    Well, I may be in luck - gram quantities of Mo are available from a now-defunct steel mill, so I may be able to do the above test in the following days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nicola, I think that MP is a good test even with decomp.

Why not just dry making a small batch of developer? Might work.

Are you the chemistry equivalent of Nicola Tesla?

I have many many more synthetic Org. books to suggest such as books on lab technique. You might try Fuson for lab instruction, Fuson and Snyder for Org. Chem.. and the famous Gould "Mechanism and Structure in Organic Chemistry".

I have more but just cannot locate them OTOMH.

PE

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin