Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,569,896   Online: 1164

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Those are mwhat we call a**holes.... they are caused when the film gets a fold in it and sort of "pops" This actually causes a small exposure on the film due to a small slip of speed across the surface of the film.I get them some. One needs to see this by making a fold in a piece of paper and trying to pull the fold out. Sometimes you can see one of these at he end of the fold just before it comes out. Kind of hard to explain....try this and see if will work for for you.
    Logan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    It looks to be typical "half moon" emulsion damage. I've written about this (obliquely), with example here. I hope that you are at least using stainless steel reels, where you have a chance at avoiding further occurrences, rather than those loathsome, problematic, plastic wind-up reels.
    I have had it with Hewes reels when I have had problems loading the 120 film.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is that a 5 string Violin???

I agree, you kinked the film when loading for development.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Th everybody, I am pretty sure It happened while loading the film on the dev reel. I dropped the reel while loading the film on.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

You also can get these by putting a roll of 120 film in your pocket with your keys for a couple of hours.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hope that you are at least using stainless steel reels, where you have a chance at avoiding further occurrences...
    Pay attention to the wording folks. If you can't load reels safely without problematic mechanical intervention, then you need to look to basic technique and practice. At least then you have a choice of tools.
    Last edited by ROL; 05-20-2013 at 08:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pay attention to the wording folks. If you can't load reels safely without problematic mechanical intervention, then you need to look to basic technique and practice. At least then you have a choice of tools.
    True.

Except if you live in an area that gets very humid in the summer (like Minnesota), it can be really tough to get plastic dev reels dry enough for safe loading. Especially if using a changing bag where hands get sweaty, etc. Wanted to bring that angle of it up too, since it pertains to the subject matter.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am able to replace reels. I am not able to replace hands.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin