Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,825   Posts: 1,581,980   Online: 857

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Part of why I'm asking is that I have a reel of tmax 100, expired for about a year, that sat on a store shelf and looks just fine. I also have some refrigerator-stored expired Portra NC (both 160 and 400) of which I have developed only one roll that looked just awful.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    35mm
    My 2 cents seems to be the same as everyone else here: I would recommend buying it at that price and doing a quick test roll to see how it's performing. You could then adapt what you shoot if it's expired enough to seriously change the texture.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been shooting some 120 TriX expired in 1980, some fog, but sweet none the less.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bracket fungi.jpg  
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    Part of why I'm asking is that I have a reel of tmax 100, expired for about a year, that sat on a store shelf and looks just fine. I also have some refrigerator-stored expired Portra NC (both 160 and 400) of which I have developed only one roll that looked just awful.
    I have shot TMax 100 expired mid-90's last year, and the speed hasn't dropped much. PanF from the same era I had to rate at 16-20, and it was fogged beyond practical use. Even so, I have managed to eek a few images out of it. Given the effort involved, I would not easily use such old film, but I was very pleasantly surprised by the TMax.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dorff View Post
    I have shot TMax 100 expired mid-90's last year, and the speed hasn't dropped much. PanF from the same era I had to rate at 16-20, and it was fogged beyond practical use. Even so, I have managed to eek a few images out of it. Given the effort involved, I would not easily use such old film, but I was very pleasantly surprised by the TMax.
    A couple of years ago a friend sold me 100 rolls of TMax 100 that expired in 1996. They were perfect, for all practical reasons, and gave me a few months worth of photography pleasure without issue. It seems that this particular film stores very well.
    Tri-X I've had less than satisfying experiences with. I remember back in 2004 when I bought about 40 rolls of 35mm Tri-X that had expires just a couple of years earlier. It had markedly higher fog levels, and had lost some speed because of it. I ended up with negatives that were very dense and difficult to print.

Expired film really is a hit and miss business, and as long as one is prepared to accept a certain level of chance at failure and disappointment, it's OK. But when one relies on the results to be perfect, it's best to buy a large batch of fresh film and test it first. That's just the gist of it. Beyond expiration date there are no guarantees.

I've lost far too many important photographs due to using questionable film, and would never point blank recommend using expired film.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Definitely test, but it probably won't be too bad. Last year I shot a roll of TriX 400 that expired in 2002 and was of unknown history. I exposed it at 200.
    It was over-exposed. I have a couple left and will probably stick with box speed.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's just it, though. You can never tell before testing. Some people enjoy the jeopardy of not knowing, and others think it's a waste of their time to not know what to expect.

All I can say is that I loathe going back to early negatives to print, where I used all sorts of different films, some expired and others not. They are very inconsistent, to say the least. It's a pain in the a$$ to me, because every print requires a lot more attention than I'd like to give them, and creating a print that looks consistent with prints from newer negatives is almost impossible.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin