Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,227   Posts: 1,532,691   Online: 744

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Expired tri-x- what to expect?

A local shop has 100' of expired (2008) tri-x for $25.00. It's been sitting on the store display shelf in relatively constant 70-75 fahrenheit all that time. If I were to purchase it, about what kind of weirdness should I expect of it? I would shoot a couple short rolls at different ratings, but any testing ideas would also be appreciated. Sitting right next to it, they also have a reel of Tmax 100 expired around 2006 for $40. I don't know if I want to go that far back, though. Any suggestions?
    All paths are the same: they lead nowhere. Choose the one that has heart.

Don Juan

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'd rate it about ASA 250 and give it the standard developer treatment. Might work just fine. Just get out there and shoot it all up--it's not getting any younger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The TMax will hold up very well and for a long time. Tri-X doesn't always age gracefully, and will start fogging pretty early on.
    Of course there are never any guarantees.
    I usually shoot fresh Tri-X at 200 in normal contrast; if I was forced to shoot expired Tri-X I'd probably shoot at 100 and develop as normal.

Your mileage may vary, as will your luck with expired film.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been shooting some questionably stored Tri-X in 4x5 that expired in about 1996. It's definitely fogged, but usable. The TMax 100 may have actually aged better since it's a lower ISO anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i bought 2000 sheets of expired tri x 5x7 film 13 years ago for about 1¢/sheet.
    it was ambient temperature stored ( and still is )
    some of it was from the early mid 1990s ... and it is still OK.
    expose it at about 200 and use a developer that doesn't promote fog
    something like dektol or ansco 130 would work great.

have fun !

john
    your own film may vary from mine though ...
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have been using trix that i purchased in the mid nineties....i expose at asa 240 and develop either in pyro or xtol...works just fine....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    website down for maintenance!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    To my knowledge no one i know stashes tmax100...so have never heard any issues...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    website down for maintenance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With expired film the following conditions will be experienced in greater or lesser degree. Depends on the age of the film and the storage conditions.

o Reduced speed.
    o Reduced contrast.
    o Fog.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by desertratt View Post
    I met this redhead. She wasn't the prettiest girl in town nor exactly any spring chicken. But boy -- well, you get the idea. You'll never now about that roll of film until you give it a whirl. What did the man say -- you never hit home runs if you never go up to bat. I'd try developing it in HC-110 for starters.
    Glad to hear you got on well with the local good-time girl . +1 for the HC-110. Don't use Rodinal.

As others have said, rate it at 320, 250, 200 and see how it goes. I would roll very short test rolls, 6 exposures each, and just do a bit of testing. Two or three rolls later, and you should have a good understanding of where you are heading with exposure and development. My personal aim would be to adapt the speed, and use the normal developing time. That should give you very little to no increase in grain, and the best compromise in terms of contrast and fog. Expired film can be a bit of a gamble, but at least you get a whole roll that should be aged homogeneously. So whatever you determine via experimentation should apply to the whole roll, provided you use it up fairly soon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recently traded some 5x7 film for 120 film, and this person gave me, in addition to the fresh film I requested, some expired Tri-X. It's dated with 2007 expiration. Has been stored in room temperature.
    I will shoot one of those rolls, and a fresh roll, develop in the same can, and compare with contact prints side by side.
    It might take me a little while, but I'm interested to see what I will find.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin