Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,541   Posts: 1,544,376   Online: 1077

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I worked for years with Ultrafin plus in the past with Tmax it was a very good combo, till Xtol was anounced and got the first place in the german labor mag test!
    Since then I soup all films in Xtol and look never back!

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by titrisol
    Is Neofin B a low contrast developer?
    Contrast is a question of time and agitation more than the developer.

Neofin is a non-solvent developer, which can give any contrast you want (within reason). There are better compensating developers, just as there are better choises for stand development, and better high-contrast developers.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Neofin blue is an old recept and almost simmular as the AM20 (Amaloco Photochemicals, the Netherlands) from 1936.
    The further development of AM20 is AM50, based on brenzcatechin and hydrochinon. This type of developer does not give a staining effect.

Both mentioned types of developers are working with a high dillution and are delivered in small ampuls (20ml). The concentrated developer in plastic ampuls (AM20-AM50) can be stocked for about 3 years.
    AM50 is delivered in a box of 3X20ml packing.

We can recommend this developer for the classical films, not for the modern T-grain type films.

Best regards,

Robert

www.FotohuisRoVo.nl

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fotohuis
    Neofin blue is an old recept and almost simmular as the AM20 (Amaloco Photochemicals, the Netherlands) from 1936.
    The further development of AM20 is AM50, based on brenzcatechin and hydrochinon. This type of developer does not give a staining effect.
    So they are both what was once called "surface developers". Neofin contains only (?) metol, at one time it also contained a small amount of phenidone together with the metol.
    For those who want to know, Brenzcatechin = pyrocatechin.

T-grain films generally work better with developers with more of a solvent effect, not so well with non-solvent. Classic films like EFKE give (as I already said) brilliant result with these developers. I have not tried AM-- developers, nor any other Cat-Q combination.
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I tested AM 50 on FP4+ and PX and it performed as Robert said, great sharpness, no stain, grain was o.k. I think the Amoloco developers are a bit cheaper if you buy by the bottles and fill them in tiny glass bottles.

Ultrafin Plus works great for me as push developer like TMZ at 6400 or HP5+ at 1600.

Neofin Doku is for docu films developed to a low gamma.

Emufin is a two bath developer based on a paraphenylene derivat, gives low contrast and low visuell sharpness. The first can be cured by doing Push 2, the later is a problem. Fine grain. No good for members of the church of Rodinal!

Hurry up, Tetenal already killed have their range of developers!

I think the Beutler Metol formula is not the same as Neofin formula, which feels more like Brenzcatchine, very sharp to the point where grain size starts to reduce resolution.

Wolfram
    Colour? We can always use an airbrush later...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I am not so sure - I have seen exceptional results from TMY in XTOL - which only has 30g sulfite/liter, clearly a non solivent developer. Similar results in PC-Tea with no sulfite.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    So they are both what was once called "surface developers". Neofin contains only (?) metol, at one time it also contained a small amount of phenidone together with the metol.
    For those who want to know, Brenzcatechin = pyrocatechin.

T-grain films generally work better with developers with more of a solvent effect, not so well with non-solvent. Classic films like EFKE give (as I already said) brilliant result with these developers. I have not tried AM-- developers, nor any other Cat-Q combination.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Anchell and Troop also make the claim that "Neofin Blue" is pyrocatechin based( The Film Developing Cookbook;chapter 6; pg.56 .
    I always thought it was his Metol formula. Anyone know for sure?

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by garryl
    Anchell and Troop also make the claim that "Neofin Blue" is pyrocatechin based( The Film Developing Cookbook;chapter 6; pg.56 .
    I always thought it was his Metol formula. Anyone know for sure?

From the warning on recent bottles, it is Metol. Ten years ago it was Metol/Phenidone. I don't think there has ever been pyrocatechin, pyrogallol or hydroquinone in it.

I have reason to believe it is NOT his metol formula, but it is certainly very closely related - to the point of interchangeability.

And to fhovie - a "true" surface developer will contain less than 5 gram sulfite/liter. Barely enough to keep the developing agent alive for the duration of developing.
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think the Amaloco developers are a bit cheaper if you buy by the bottles and fill them in tiny glass bottles.
    This range of developers is already cheap: AM50, Eur. 2,61 3X20ml and easy to send.
    Further for the life time it is very important that no air is in the ampules. If you use 10ml you have to fill the ampule immediately to 1+1 and exactly to the top.

And correct: Brenzcatechin = pyrocatechin.

AM50 and FP4+ is one of the best combinations.

Best regards,

Robert

www.FotohuisRoVo.nl

Shooter
    35mm RF
    This range of developers is already cheap: AM50, Eur. 2,61 3X20ml and easy to send.
    Further for the life time it is very important that no air is in the ampules. If you use 10ml you have to fill the ampule immediately to 1+1 and exactly to the top.

Robert
    Peter (Löffler) of Phototec charges me € 4.20 for the 3 ampules AM 50 and 2,90 for the refill. He used to have free shipping on € 50 plus but changed that to € 250. Now if you could throw in some Brokkelkas for my mum, we might get into business .

Just went into the kitchen for some more tea and picked up my last pack of Tetenal Neofin Red, there are information given about the chemistry.
    When I used Beutlers formula, stores very well as a A+B system, most films were about 7-8 mins, but APX 100 needed 14-16 mins, 8 mins on APX 100 looked like N-2 or more like dustbin. Similar to Neofin Blue times.

Watch out for my last pack Neofin Red hitting €bay, minimum reserve € 200, collectors edition comes with black leather box and test print.

Wolfram
    Colour? We can always use an airbrush later...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin