Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,372   Online: 881

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Tetenal developers

Hi

I have looked a bit at Tetenal developers at my local pusher and would like to have some words on them.
    The developers I have in mind are:

• Ultrafin
    • Ultrafin Plus
    • Emofin
    • Neofin
    • Neofin Doku

Greetings Morten

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    TIP: Don't use old (read: out of date) neofin blue (or red). But I think it's truly a very thin grain dev. A bit expensive, but a good dev for low-speed films.
    "The camera can be the most deadly weapon since the assassin's bullet. Or it can be the lotion of the heart - Norman Parkinson".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a bottle of Ultrafin that doesn`t get much use. It`s like a not so sharp version of Rodinal. Not very fine grain at all...

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Neofin is "the original 35mm developer", formulated by Willi Beutler for ADOX KB14, KB17, and KB20 which are essentially the same as todays EFKE KB25, KB50 and KB100. It gives distinct grain, and a very nice gradation to these films. The gradation is of course equally good with the R- and PL- versions of the same films.

Grain is as I said distinct, without being overly coarse.

If you want to try one developer other than Rodinal, I recommend Neofin. Results will be similar, yet different.

I have used Neofin that was out of date by at least five years, possibly ten. It came in plastic vials, today it comes in small glass bottles. It still worked, although significantly slower.

Beutler used Neofin Blau for both slow and fast films, but made the Rot version for fast films and impatient people. He still recommended only Blau. So when Tetenal have now stopped making the red, they are at last complying with Beutlers instructions!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    I have used Neofin that was out of date by at least five years, possibly ten. It came in plastic vials, today it comes in small glass bottles. It still worked, although significantly slower.
    I've thrown away 5 plastic tubes of red and 4 of blue after my testing. I've developped +20% but with no good results at all. The neofin had a very dark brown color and my fixing was also polluted after development. The negatives were only reproducable digital [1] (very thin) So I don't recommend using old dev on your precious negatives!

[1] http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...cat=500&page=1
    "The camera can be the most deadly weapon since the assassin's bullet. Or it can be the lotion of the heart - Norman Parkinson".

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PieterB
    ... So I don't recommend using old dev on your precious negatives! ...
    I agree. I developed by inspection, and had a second (different) developer ready.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    With KB, you could destroy 36 frames - and that happened...
    If you work with LF, like you do (?), that's not an issue indeed

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hmmmm....I stick to what I know...Rodinal. It will never let you down

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is Neofin B a low contrast developer?
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I suggest using d76 and/or xtol for negatives rated over 150
    But for apx 100, I believe in the church of rodinal....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin