Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,522   Posts: 1,543,804   Online: 757

Shooter
    35mm

Questions about split fixing and hardener

I recently switched to split/2-bath fixing for my film development so I can stretch each batch as long as I can.
    Two questions:
    Will having the hardener in the first fix prevent the second fix from being effective?
    If so, and I use a separate hardener bath, should I wash before hardening (to clear as much fix as possible)?

Oh, I guess three questions: am I crazy? :P
    The camera is the most incidental element of photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi okto

modern films don't really require hardener. it makes it harder ( pardon the pun ) to wash the emulsion free of chemistry.
    i only started to use hardener in my fix, after 31 years, this year, because i am using liquid emulsion on glass,
    and it frills ( puckers, lifts and may peel off / tear ) if you don't use a hardening fixer.
    i still never use it for film or paper ... and don't plan on every using it on anything but coated glass plates.
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've only heard this hardener-makes-washing-difficult argument on paper, not film. Even then, photographers have been using Kodak Professional Fixer (the powder kind) that contains hardener for decades.

I do know, if you intend to tone, hardener impacts toner's ability to change color.

Also, when you use 2-bath method, length of fixing total is not any longer than one bath method. I wouldn't think it'll make that much difference. I guess a better question will be, do you use a kind of film that require hardening treatment? Most modern emulsions are hard enough that something like that isn't even necessary.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The rule I use for fixing film is double the time for it to clear. For example, if it takes 2 minutes for your film to clear, total fix time is 4 minutes. Do any other APUGers use that rule?
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You need to wash films longer if a hardening fixer's been used than unhardened.

Ilford state that using hardener is no longr recommended except for some exceptional circumstances, processing over 30°C, using roller transport machines, when fast drying is needed (usually higher heat) ect.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Trying to save fixer is a bit of false economy. Switch to a non-hardening fix and save water.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    Trying to save fixer is a bit of false economy. Switch to a non-hardening fix and save water.
    With 2 bath fixing you get better economy, more effective fixing but in reality the only true benefits are with fibre based papers.

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin