Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,808   Posts: 1,581,481   Online: 1090

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Spooling Ortho Lith Film

I bought some Ortho litho film recently, and I've been getting good results cutting it into 2 1/2" squares and exposing it directly in a medium format camera. Needless to say, though, this is getting tedious, as I have to reload after every shot. It seems like I can order larger sheets and cut strips that I could attach to 120 backing paper and respool. Does this sound doable, or am I missing something? My main concern is the emulsion, as I know from experience that it's rather sensitive, and I wonder if it could stand up to the advancing.

My other alternative is a changing bag, but even that seems like a lot of fuss.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    All you can do is try. Some cameras are more forgiving towards film being dragged across the metal surfaces. The Rapid Omega completely releases its pressure plate at each advance cycle.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess it will be easy enough to try. All I have is 4x5 at the moment, but that's two frames, and probably enough for a quick and dirty test. I've never spooled or otherwise "rolled my own" 120 film, but I think it's just a matter of taping in the right place. I'll have to pull some backing paper out of my darkroom garbage...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You typically need to tape it in the right spot, roll it up, and then move the tape slightly as the film and backing paper will not line up after rolling. Give it a go - it isn't that hard!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Over at the Film Photography Project site they have been selling 120 packaged films slit down and spooled from large and ultra large format xray films.
    my real name, imagine that.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin