Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,412   Online: 781

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Rewashing negatives with water spots?

So I have a few negs which I washed improperly and now have water and dust spots all over them
    I've also cut them already
    Can I rewash, use photo flo and hang them by their sprocket holes?
    Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GarageBoy View Post
    So I have a few negs which I washed improperly and now have water and dust spots all over them
    I've also cut them already
    Can I rewash, use photo flo and hang them by their sprocket holes?
    Thanks
    Yes, but be careful as the extra handling can lead to scratches.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do that all the time!

I make a "hanger" with paper clips that goes into the sprocket hole. I make a "weight" that goes to the other end of the film out of the same stuff. The short strip will curl badly as it dries, so without a weight, you'll end up with a coil. I wash them by carefully reeling strips into my developing reels, so the imaging surface doesn't touch anything during the re-washing process.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes.. like everyone said. sqeegee them with your photo-flo fingers, not the rubber ones. Your sure to scatch them with those.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    It may not be necessary to rewash them if you just have a few water marks. These only tend to form on the shiny side of the film, so lay the strips in turn shiny side up on something clean like a negative page. Then breathe on them as you would to mist up a mirror and then wipe them gently with a lens cleaning cloth. If the spots don't disappear, dab a bit of ethanol on the cloth and wipe again.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Soak them in distilled water or something similar like demineralised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The question needs to be asked, are the water spots ACTUALLY causing any visible issues when enlarging? I get drying marks occasionally and find that indeed that they are on the shiny side only. I have also found that quite often, they don't appear to make too much of an issue when put in the enlarger.

But, as they say, your mileage may vary...

Shooter
    35mm
    On a... ::cough:: flatbed ::cough::
    I can see the spots as weirdly colored splotches
    This was the first roll of film I processed and I like quite a few of the shots on that roll

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cough:scanner:cough shows stains, scratches, and water spots far more clearly than an enlarger. I don't know why but it does. I had one like that but printed just fine on my enlarger.

What I usually do is to soak my film in weak acid (like stop bath) to losen the calcium content of the stain, then soak long time in filtere/distilled water. Then rinse, photoflo, and dry. It usually works.

I wouldn't scrub it with alcohol as you have a chance of scratching the film. Even if it is on back side of film, it can show. I've done it.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have recently tried a different rinse formula that I have found in APUG. To prevent future rinsing problems I would recommend that.
    1 oz ilfotol/foto-flo mixed with 7 oz isopropyl alcohol, becomes the stock solution.
    Use it diluted 1+25 or 1+24. It works better than plain foto-flo imo. I used bottled water for final rinse and no problems spotted in cough:scanner:cough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin