Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,590   Online: 842

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I am obsessive about making all my chems. Ian steered me on to a homebrew bersion of Rodinal which I call Ianol. I have made two versions with different pH. The lower hydroxide version is the one I use and it's excellent at 1+50, jobo agitation @68 deg. The higher pH version is extremely close to Rodinal. I've used two gallns of the stuff so far...at 1+50!!

I have made the quantity as follows because I can get the potassium sulphite in a 1 liter bottle and make a complete batch..

Ianol:
    Higher pH
    p-Aminophenol.(free base) ................... 53 g-----58g new recipe
    Potassium sulphite 45% sol...................... 1L
    Potassium Hydroxide ........................... 54 g------59g new recipe
    Potassium Bromide ............................. 13 g
    Benzotriazole 1% ............................... 13 ml
    Water to make .................................. 1.3 L

Stock pH 13.2

Collecting previous work,from Gainer,post 22:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum223/...ic-acid-3.html

p-aminophenol.......1.1g
    Ascorbic acid.........8.8g
    Sodium hydroxide...2.4g
    Borax..................10g
    Water to..............1L

pH 9-10

In another experiment I looked at making a developer from Paracetamol/Tylenol without using any sulfite.
    Note, Sodium Hydroxide is hazardous, caustic:
    http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemi...hydroxide.html

Solution A:
    I dissolved 20g sodium hydroxide in 250ml water, added 15g (contents of 30 capsules) Paracetamol whilst hot,with stirring.
    After filtering through cotton wool the solution was left in a 250ml sealed bottle for 72 hrs.The paracetamol hydrolyses to p-aminophenolate which is a developing agent.

LS-1b Developer:
    Solution A above...............................50ml
    Ascorbic Acid....................................20g
    Sodium Carbonate photo grade anh.....6.7g
    Water to ..........................................1L
    pH~9

HP5+ was developed in LS-1b 10m 20C, EI~250, see attachment showing 0.1 in square section of negative.
    It's a mid-acutance rather than fine grain developer.

Later I may try washing soda crystals instead of sodium carbonate anh, the developer could then be made from Paracetamol,Caustic Soda pellets, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C from the health food shop) and washing soda crystals.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LS-1b-1.jpg  

Slow progress on this one.
    After 46 days the pH of LS-1b has fallen from the initial 9 to 6.5 and it no longer works.It is falling towards the pH of sodium ascorbate and the only explanation I can think of is that free sodium ions that initially supported pH 9 may be complexed in some way and taken out of service by ascorbate.
    I may try less hydroxide to make solution A, needing less ascorbic acid,and possibly adding sodium bicarbonate to give some buffering, as ascorbate/carbonate did not work.
    It was in a nearly full bottle and the pH drop seems too much for the small amount of oxidation to have been the cause.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Alan - what just looking at the three photos you've posted, the first looks by far the best in terms of grain, the second starts to look mottled/clumped, and the third just above is looking like some form of reticulation. What do you think?

What you say may be true and the grain comparisons would need to be done again using the same film and scanning procedure for all.
    But first I would like to produce a developer that has a stable pH using paracetamol, sodium hydroxide, sodium carbonate, sodium bicarbonate and ascorbic acid only as these can all be obtained from local shops.
    I don't count sodium bisulfite used in wine-making as a local shops chemical so sulfite is not allowed.
    I'm looking at Ryuji Suzuki's DS-2 using p-aminophenol made from paracetamol in place of metol and without the sulfite, although this would not be fine grain:

http://web.archive.org/web/200910051...s#Introduction

Another chemical mud pie noted:
    A moderately buffered solution was made to try to avoid the pH drop problem.

Solution A (this is to hydrolyse Paracetamol/Tylenol to the developing agent sodium aminophenolate.)10% more sodium hydroxide than theoretically needed was used.
    Content of 16 Paracetamol capsules....................8g
    Sodium Hydroxide......................................... ..4.64g
    Water to................................................ .......100 ml
    Leave in a full sealed bottle for 1 week at room temperature for the hydrolysis to complete.

LS-1b1
    Ascorbic acid.............................................. ......10g
    Solution A above............................................. ..50ml
    Sodium Bicarbonate....................................... ....10g
    Sodium Carbonate Decahydrate...........................10g
    Water to................................................ ............1L
    Develop for 1.5x Xtol 1+3 times.It worked at first.

However this buffer did not stop the pH drop problem, initial pH of 9.0 fell to 8.8 after 7 days,7.8@14 days, 7.7 @23 days.
    I am now trying a more strongly buffered solution, 50g/L Sodium Carbonate anh equivalent.

Note sodium hydroxide is caustic, hazardous:
    http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemi...hydroxide.html

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Johnson View Post
    However this buffer did not stop the pH drop problem, initial pH of 9.0 fell to 8.8 after 7 days,7.8@14 days, 7.7 @23 days.
    Some time ago I was research some pH-stability issues in ascorbate devs. 1st replace ascorbic acid to sodium ascorbate or ascorbic acid with valid amount of sodium carbonate for produce sodium ascorbate. 2nd - make your buffer solution. For pH=9 try ~10g/l of Borax, or borax+sodium carbonate

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have used gallons of this and it's excellent..

ave made the quantity as follows because I can get the potassium sulphite in a 1 liter bottle and make a complete batch..

Ianol:
    Higher pH
    p-Aminophenol.(free base) ................... 53 g-----58g new recipe
    Potassium sulphite 45% sol...................... 1L
    Potassium Hydroxide ........................... 54 g------59g new recipe
    Potassium Bromide ............................. 13 g
    Benzotriazole 1% ............................... 13 ml
    Water to make .................................. 1.3 L

Stock pH 13.2

Quote Originally Posted by Relayer View Post
    Some time ago I was research some pH-stability issues in ascorbate devs. 1st replace ascorbic acid to sodium ascorbate or ascorbic acid with valid amount of sodium carbonate for produce sodium ascorbate. 2nd - make your buffer solution. For pH=9 try ~10g/l of Borax, or borax+sodium carbonate
    Hi Relayer,
    The unique feature of my developer, if I ever manage to produce a stable form,is intended to be that all the ingredients should be available from small town local shops, not internet.
    Viz:Paracetamol/Tylenol (aka acetaminophen), Sodium hydroxide (aka caustic soda or lye), Ascorbic acid (aka vitamin C), Washing Soda (aka sodium carbonate mono- or deca-hydrate) and Baking Soda (aka sodium bicarbonate).
    My health food store carries ascorbic acid but not sodium ascorbate. I cannot buy borax in local shops any more, there is some kind of EU ban. So I cannot use the chems you suggest.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin