Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,488   Online: 902
      
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,586
    Images
    55

    Thoughts on d-72?

    Looks like I lost my enlarger lenses on the move but found an 8x10 Nova processor...not the new one, the old one that fits into something that looks like file folder holders that resides on your desk.

    Anyway, just wanted to do quickie contact sheets, Ilford postcards, and RC prints on it. Looks like I have the chems to make d72.

    Anyone use it before? My 8x10 Nova's take 1 liter each of chems so I'm guessing...about 1:1 or 1:2? That would be only about 300 or so stock solution + H20. How long would that last?

  2. #2
    eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,586
    Images
    55
    Ahhhh, if you have not yet seen a vertical slot processor, its like having an Acute Matte screen compared to the OEM screen. I have a 16x20 slot processor that takes up as much room as an 12x14 tray! It uses 3.5 liters of liquid. They come with these clips, yah, it makes little tiny prick marks right on the edge of the paper. You pull the paper up and down. My darkroom time (it was non running water kind) took about 1 hour to clean up afterwards. Now, I just put the covers on the top and I am done for the night. It makes making prints very enjoyable thinking I don't have all these big trays taking up space somewhere. I'll take a digipix of it tonight and PM you

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Leesburg, VA
    Posts
    21
    Eric, Photo Lab Index says D-72 is just like Dektol, if that helps. (Dektol is a powdered formulation; D-72 is home brew).
    http://www.geocities.com/destowe/d72.html says :
    "D-72 PAPER DEVELOPER

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For brillance and good black tones. This is a cold tone paper developer.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dilute 1:2. Developing times: 45 sec to 3 minutes at 68 F.
    For colder blue-black tones reduce the amount of Potassium Bromide (start with half as much).

  4. #4
    eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,586
    Images
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by jdef
    Ah, so it's guillotine style agitation eh? I see.
    Never thought of it as that but yah, guillotine style.

    work with any size print (below maximum), or are the clips the limiting factor there?
    Jay
    Haven't used it with film, but I guess it would work. Probably better off getting those 4x5 (4x) sheet holder or 8x10 sheet holder for the 5 gallon size tanks. It should theoritically work. Nothing very high-tech to the holders. They do have this "fiber" paper holder. Pretty fancy thing. I've haven't had a problem with fiber using the Nova with just clips. Just another marketing thing I guess. Its got a little spigot on it and doesn't take long to empty, rinse, and add some film/or/print dev.

    But my 8x10 Nova is very basic. Looks like an enclosed file folder with about 1/2 space for chemicals. That's it. I make something similar once. I used these 4 quart pitchers from Rubbermaid. Worked real good. I was able to fit 81/2 x 11 sheets into them. I had 3 of them. Cheap as heck. Go to the home section on the big W store and they are about $3.00 bucks each.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,416
    I use a bigger 12x16 model, but I think you'll find this informative:

    http://silvergrain.org/Photo-Tech/Nova-Monochrome.html

  6. #6
    eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,586
    Images
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryuji
    I use a bigger 12x16 model, but I think you'll find this informative:

    http://silvergrain.org/Photo-Tech/Nova-Monochrome.html
    I was just there the other day. I got a 16x20 for cheap cause the guy said it was really "dirty". Took me 2 days to clean with denture cleaner and bleach. The 8x10 cheapo model I got cheap will probably do the same exact thing as the 8x10 Monochrome model.

    Ryuji, you must've used d72 before? Just like Dektol eh?

  7. #7
    Maine-iac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Posts
    464
    Quote Originally Posted by eric
    Looks like I lost my enlarger lenses on the move but found an 8x10 Nova processor...not the new one, the old one that fits into something that looks like file folder holders that resides on your desk.

    Anyway, just wanted to do quickie contact sheets, Ilford postcards, and RC prints on it. Looks like I have the chems to make d72.

    Anyone use it before? My 8x10 Nova's take 1 liter each of chems so I'm guessing...about 1:1 or 1:2? That would be only about 300 or so stock solution + H20. How long would that last?
    D-72 is essentially very similar to Dektol. As formulated it gives a fairly neutral tone. If you want to cool down the tone, substitute 10 ml Liquid Orthazite (Benzotriazole) for the Potassium Bromide as an antifoggant. Dilute 1:2.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,416
    Quote Originally Posted by eric
    I was just there the other day. I got a 16x20 for cheap cause the guy said it was really "dirty". Took me 2 days to clean with denture cleaner and bleach. The 8x10 cheapo model I got cheap will probably do the same exact thing as the 8x10 Monochrome model.

    Ryuji, you must've used d72 before? Just like Dektol eh?
    Yeah they work the same, and it is commonly believed to be the same formula except Dektol most likely contains EDTA or possibly DTPA.

    You're lucky -- I'd love to have a 16x20 unit, cheaply!



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin