Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,564   Posts: 1,573,434   Online: 862

Shooter
    35mm

Numbers on Foma Fomapan 100 Film

Hi, I developed my first rolls of Foma Fomapan 100 35mm film today and noticed unusual numbers along the bottom of the negatives where the frame numbers usually appear. The positions of the numbers do not correspond to the frames and they appear about every fifth sprocket hole. The rolls start at number 64, then go back to 1, and seem to go up to the number 50. anyone know what these numbers represent? Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm
    It is true that Foma uses a different sort of numbering. The same system appeared on old Agfa films. They start at 1 and go up to approx. 70. That's because these films do not have any -A numbers, so 1A would be number 2 on these films. However, I have no idea why your film would start somewhere in the middle. Maybe it is spooled from bulk film? My Fomafilm always go from 1 to 70.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes I see what you are saying about the A numbers. The first frame on each roll starts at 63 which makes the first frame 64, the second frame starts at one which makes it frame number 2, then every frame is two more numbers up to 50 for the 26th frame. The numbers are consecutive but each frame encompasses two numbers. Strange.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think they used to do it more frequently in the past when half-format cameras (like the Qlympus Pen F) where a little more common. So every (half-format) frame would get its own number. Maybe Foma never changed their numbering system.

Shooter
    35mm
    Many of the older European films were numbered that way in the 1960 era, agfa, ADOX, ...

The 36 exposure rolls had numbers up to 88, with the first frame numbered 1 and 2 and the numbering continuing right pass the end and on the leader of the next roll. Agfa finally dropped it when the DX coding came out, as that required a bar code version of the number in a specified format. I think ILFORD is the only brand that still puts the DX bar code on their B&W film.

I have seen both versions on the EFKE film so they must have changed their machine when they moved to Croatia. Foma is likly using a numbering machine from that era.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cmacd123 View Post
    Many of the older European films were numbered that way in the 1960 era, agfa, ADOX, ...

I have seen both versions on the EFKE film so they must have changed their machine when they moved to Croatia. Foma is likly using a numbering machine from that era.
    Great information. Thanks.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin