Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,926   Posts: 1,522,135   Online: 891

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Acros 100 pushed to 400

Has anyone tried this? I have to cover a family lunch tomorow. I would normally take my Leica Minilux, but it has Acros 100 in it which I had started using at 400 ASA to see how it looked pushed. Problem is that I've never done this before and don't know how it will work out. I can take another camera, but would use the Minilux if the results are likely to be ok. I don't want to rewind the Acros and substitute another film. I would just change camera as the easier option. Any advice/experience would be appreciated. Alex

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Take another camera and some TMY2 (good for 800 trivially, 1600 if you have quite flat light and don't mind contrasty images).

Acros doesn't get anywhere near 400 really; 200 is a struggle. Pushing is not one of its strengths.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks. I have a Nikon N75 which is quite discreet for an SLR and Delta 400 I can use. I'll be using flash, so 400 should be enough. I'm now thinking I should finish the Acros already loaded at 100ASA.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    You're not pushing it. You're merely underexposing it and lopping off most of the shadow values. You can overdevelop to keep texture in the
    midtones and highlights, but those shadows will be just plain gone, i.e., blocked up unless it's a very low contrast setting to begin with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another vote for a different camera and some 400 speed film if thats an option. Acros is a gorgeous film at 80-100 but not a good candidate to push.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nikon D800 with a max Iso setting of 1600.
    Let the punishment begin, I will take it as it comes.

Ok, I know it is a joke but it just had to as this question again shows lack of testing of the film and developers we use.
    It is not that difficult to shoot a few rolls of film under various lighting conditions, develop the film and know the limits and then adjust. Film is cheap, developer is cheap. shoot and test, shoot and test.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've done this many times. Before I stopped using ISO 100 speed film I would routinely use Acros and TMax 100 at EI 400, and then process in Xtol 1:1.
    The final results looked a lot like Tri-X320 (TXP), but without the grain.
    Before you develop important rolls, please try a couple of other rolls first, to make sure you're hitting your targets. It works well in low to medium contrast. In high contrast you have to give more exposure.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon and strike up the tune once again.
    Acros & TMX does NOT do well with any underexposure (even a little).

Do yourself a favor and document your family real quick if you need to use up the last half a roll or so.

Maybe its due to grain structure but I have found TMAX films suck for trying to eek out and shadows unless generous exposure takes place from the get go..

I have no idea how it would react to diafine...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon and strike up the tune once again.
    Acros & TMX does NOT do well with any underexposure (even a little).

Do yourself a favor and document your family real quick if you need to use up the last half a roll or so.

Maybe its due to grain structure but I have found TMAX films suck for trying to eek out and shadows unless generous exposure takes place from the get go..

I have no idea how it would react to diafine...
    Funny Bruce. My experience is exactly the opposite of yours. But you NEED a developer that is efficient in the shadows.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are going to use a flash, what's wrong with 100 iso film at 100 iso?
    A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Oscar Levant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin