Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,685   Posts: 1,482,255   Online: 1043

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Developer shelf life vs. latent image

What would make more sense if you do not shoot much B/W: Collecting exposed rolls of film, putting them in the fridge until you have enough to exhaust 1l of Perceptol and then developing them all together with freshly mixed developer or developing them right after exposure but with aging developer? I don´t shoot much B/W at the moment and usually 1l Perceptol stock lasts for 4-6 films (each film individually, I do not re-use the developer). I do not intend to shoot more than 1-2 rolls of film per month right now. Which solution will be better? I´m using FP4+ and HP5+ mostly, also looking forward to shoot some PanF+ which has a very bad latent image stability from what I´ve read.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I cannot comment on this very well except to say that putting film back into the fridge can cause moisture to condense on it and thus give marks on the final processed image. There have been many many posts bout this here on APUG. You are better off picking a cool dry spot and placing the film in double ziplock bags than using a fridge.

For fresh unexposed film though, in the original package, the freezer is best.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    If you use 1L of Perceptol stock then even with 35mm film you can't get more than 4 films at 250mls per films. At least I don't know of any tank that needs less than 250mls for a 35mm film unless you do Jobo rotary processing when you might get 7 films at 140 mls per film.

Either way at 1-2 films per month you need the Perceptol to last 7 months max. If you decant the stock into winebags then you will easily get 7 months out of Perceptol.

Based on this I'd develop each film as soon as it has been exposed. Instant satisfaction and no issues with latent image etc

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Use developer concentrate one shot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Use developer concentrate one shot.
    Second that!
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Oh no, maybe I did not express that clearly enough: I dilute Perceptol 1:1 or 1:2 and use this working solution one shot. But since it´s a powder it has to be dissolved to create a stock solution first, that was what I meant. I do not develop film in this stock solution (though that would be possible). No intention to switch to another developer either! What PE said makes sense to me. I won´t put the film back into the fridge again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not to highjack but how big a problem is latent image degradation.
    I've never noticed any by eye but have never done any tests.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Slixtiesix,

If you store stock developer in airtight bottles (500ml pop bottles will do) filled to the brim it will last longer than 7 months. As you empty the bottles, squeeze out as much air as possible. IIRC, Perceptol uses metol, not hydroquinone, and won't oxidise like an MQ dev. I could be incorrect though.

Cheers,
    kevs
    testing...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Both Ilford Perceptol and Kodak Microdol were based on a developer like D-23. They all use Metol as the sole developing agent, with a low pH and a high sodium sulfite content ~100 g/l. With modern emulsions they work best when diluted at least 1+1.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Large Format
    I used to keep Microdol stock for a year or 2 in partially full bottles. Still worked fine 1:3 for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin