Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,481   Online: 1072

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i pre-wash only out of habit, some habits are hard to break.
    when i tray process, one thing i do after i finish developing is pour the pre wash tray
    INTO the developer tray, and the dark dye magically disappears.

yeah, i get pretty bored sometimes.
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i pre-wash only out of habit, some habits are hard to break.
    when i tray process, one thing i do after i finish developing is pour the pre wash tray
    INTO the developer tray, and the dark dye magically disappears.

yeah, i get pretty bored sometimes.
    I've noticed the same effect when I drain the (one shot) developer from my Jobo into the holding pan that has the dye laden pre-wash water in it.

As others above, I do and do not. I do prewash with my Jobo. It's recommended by Jobo for rotary processing a few reasons. I also use Diafine for roll film sometimes in regular tanks and do not, as the maker of Diafine recommends against it. When I develop 4x5 in deep tanks with hangers, sometimes I have and sometimes I haven't and I really can't say as I could tell any difference.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think I will continuous pre washing my films then.
    Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just my $0.02 but I always pre-wash all my film wether it be color or B&W to get rid of the anti-halation layer. I think it's more important with my C-41 film since development times are so short (usually 3m30s) that a pre-wash helps promote more even development.

That plus I like seeing the pretty colors the dye makes the water :P

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tron_ View Post
    That plus I like seeing the pretty colors the dye makes the water :P
    Me too.
    I don't know why. lol

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I agree with Christian

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Christian View Post
    As Ian said above, some do a pre-wash, some don't. It washes off the anti-halation dye and I find that it promotes more even development, especially with sheet film. I do it, but if I happen to forget it, I don't worry about it too much. And no, you don't have to compensate for anything in development. If there's any real difference in the film either way, it isn't enough to be concerned about.
    I find it does some times promote even development. I think film avoids dry patches and bubbles in the developer. Also with some film, it may be a good idea to pre-wash with heavy dyes in the anti-halation layer. Especially with Foma film and Arista EDU. My developer is a blue-green. I don't think it will cause any harm.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've tried both and can't tell the difference.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I pre-wash - it keeps my replenished developer from changing colour.

More importantly, it is part of my routine now, and I depend on the repeat-ability of my routine.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The dyes that some people seem overly concerned about are chosen because they have no effect on development. Pre-washing is not necessary unless you choose to use a very short, < 5 min, developing time. With short times they may be a chance of streaking.

In 60 years of developing film I have never pre-washed and have never experienced any problems. I use Nikor style tanks. With larger tanks greater than 2 35 mm reels I use a lift rod and simply place the reels into the tank filled with developer.

With pre-wash (pre-soak) you may need to extend developing times slightly. The manufacturers of Diafine are very specific about NOT pre-soaking.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 06-04-2013 at 12:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    As others above, I do and do not. I do prewash with my Jobo. It's recommended by Jobo for rotary processing a few reasons. I also use Diafine for roll film sometimes in regular tanks and do not, as the maker of Diafine recommends against it. When I develop 4x5 in deep tanks with hangers, sometimes I have and sometimes I haven't and I really can't say as I could tell any difference.
    I too use a Jobo for rotary processing 4X5 sheet film and always pre rinsed until I started using Xtol and Delta 100 film.

Jobo has backed off their position of pre washing films developed in Xtol:

http://photo.net/bboard/uploaded-fil...ad_id=21963784

A prewetting of the film is not recommended but a pre temperaturing of the tank and dry contents is recommended. It all comes down to there is no absolute single answer for this either.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin