Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,882   Posts: 1,520,515   Online: 828

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When developing roll film, I use a pre-wash to get my film/tank to the desired temp for development. If it's 80 deg F in the room, I'll use a one-minute pre-soak at 65 degrees. The closer the room temp is to 68F, the closer my pre-wash is to 68F.

It's part of my routine. However it affects my development time, it's been factored in.
    "What drives man to create is the compulsion to, just once in his life, comprehend and record the pure, unadorned, unvarnished truth. Not some of it; all of it."

- Fred Picker

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I normally don't pre-wash, but have started to do it with 4x5 Fomapan 100. I was getting occasional pinholes in the emulsion (I was already using water instead of stop bath), and pre-washing has seemed to mitigate the problem.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to pre-wash with the Jobo when I was using a one-shot developer. Not because of the anti-halation dye but because it helps stabilize the tank temperature and evens out the initial flood of developer. Now that I am using a two bath developer, I don't bother. The first bath is low activity, and the temperature does not fluctuate that much.

I never pre-washed with manual tanks. Unless you have a very short developing time, I don't see the benefit as a universal practice. It might help with temperature adjustment.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I always prewash with C-41, mostly to get the film and tank to the correct temperature. For B/W I like dev times of around 10-20 minutes and assume there is ample amounts of time for the film to get evenly wet.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I have never pre-washed a film and can't see the point. If anything, I would suggest that a pre-wash delays the ingress of developer into the emulsion and may effect development times.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a pre-soaking with sheet film and catechol and pyro developers because it is pretty well required, but it does no harm with whatever film or developer you use. There are no downsides to pre-soaking (if concerned about increased development times, well, increase the development time) and plenty of potential upsides. The only time you might have been called an over-careful sissy for pre-soaking a film would have been in a newspaper darkroom, but look what happened to those. The thing is, if something bad can happen, as it does sooner or later, doing something as simple as pre-soaking is a cheap insurance policy, not relying on the ancient 'its never happened to me' motto above the darkroom door.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    I use a pre-soaking with sheet film and catechol and pyro developers because it is pretty well required, but it does no harm with whatever film or developer you use. There are no downsides to pre-soaking (if concerned about increased development times, well, increase the development time) and plenty of potential upsides. The only time you might have been called an over-careful sissy for pre-soaking a film would have been in a newspaper darkroom, but look what happened to those. The thing is, if something bad can happen, as it does sooner or later, doing something as simple as pre-soaking is a cheap insurance policy, not relying on the ancient 'its never happened to me' motto above the darkroom door.

Steve
    Sounds a very good point to me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I presoak film with a few drops of wetting agent, agitate and drain. It gets the film and tank to the processing temperature and helps to prevent pinholes from airbells. Banging a plastic tank to dislodge airbells just wrecks the tank in the end. YMMV.

Cheers,
    kevs
    testing...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'll take the bait.. I don't.
    I mostly don't because I trust the highly paid highly educated scientist and engineers of Kodak and Ilford.
    I messed about with it long ago...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Osgood View Post
    Jobo has backed off their position of pre washing films developed in Xtol:
    when xtol came out they originally said don't pre-wet, i didn't know they changed their tune ..

Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I have never pre-washed a film and can't see the point. If anything, I would suggest that a pre-wash delays the ingress of developer into the emulsion and may effect development times.
    from what PE ( i think ) has said it is exactly the opposite. it prepares and swells the gelatin in the emulsion and prepares it for immediate commingling with the chemistry
    in the developer.

when i deep tank dk50'd i never pre-wet but since i shuffle sheets in the dark i find it easiest to make sure my sheets aren't stuck together
    its a PITA to unstick sheets in the developer .. rolls, don't stick together, but i like looking at the dye when i pour it out (unless its emulsion too)
    it always reminds me that in about 1/2 hour i'll have negatives.

sometimes i prewet prints too, but unfortunately there is no dye.
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin