Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,223   Posts: 1,532,510   Online: 1097

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Still no signs of SFX-200. All other films are well stocked in this area.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rumour here is that there is going to be a management buy out. Let's hope. Their 220 line is still dead though sad to say.

David.

Our dealer here in Nova Scotia tells me there is a large price increase coming.

He also informs that Kodak Polymax FA C surface is still showing as a valid catalog item but that a call to Kodak confirms that I will never again be able to obtain any. A gallon of Selenium toner has been on order for three months, dare I ask about it?
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Woolliscroft
    Rumour here is that there is going to be a management buy out. Let's hope. Their 220 line is still dead though sad to say.

David.
    I'm no businessman, but I never understood why Ilford dropped their 220 films. If you are going to make 120 anyway, why not cut some of the stuff a little longer and add the 220 style backing paper? It doesn't sound like much trouble or expense to me. Do these companies think that they have to make millions off of every product before it is worthwhile? Isn't selling a little bit of Agfa sheet film or Kodak ortho film worthwhile? If Bergger can do it, why can't the big companies do it?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My memory might be a little suspect, but as I recall Ilford cancelled 220 because virtually no one was buying it; given their current financial troubles, I'm guessing they were actually losing money on the deal, if in the form of unbought inventory, too much backing paper, wages, whatever.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy
    Isn't selling a little bit of Agfa sheet film or Kodak ortho film worthwhile?
    The larger a production facility is, and the more a company has to depend on 24hr a day up time, the harder it will be for them to make small runs of specific products. So slower moving products either have infrequent, but large production runs, which can lead to shortages of that product between runs, or they cut production to concentrate on products that have a better potential for monetary return. That's what happens to items like Verichrome Pan, Tech Pan and APX sheet films.

Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy
    If Bergger can do it, why can't the big companies do it?
    Bergger farms out their product production to other companies, such as Forte. They are not "doing it". Being a smaller company, Forte could make more frequent runs of certain products for specific buyers, like Freestyle, Bergger, and the Classic Pan films.
    [COLOR=Sienna][FONT=Arial]Some days are diamonds. Some days a tree crashes through your roof.[/FONT][/COLOR]

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Dean,

"Bergger farms out their product production to other companies, such as Forte. They are not "doing it". Being a smaller company, Forte could make more frequent runs of certain products for specific buyers, like Freestyle, Bergger, and the Classic Pan films."

Yep. Which is one of the reasons for batch variations in these products - every production run is very limited if compared to -say- Agfa, where the lines run 24/7 with consistent output over a long time.
    Tschüss,
    Roman

DKT

my rumor--talked with a service tech a day or two ago. Seems that there's a dispute of sorts between Serco and Ilford, and Serco is holding all the spare parts. The new support company hasn't finalized any service agreements with Ilford, but they are doing some limited tech support for the processors *if* they have the part--which in our case they didn't. I was told that there is no vendor to make the parts and there is no word on when they'll be available again. No parts are being made currently. I asked about a rough timetable for when they'd be available and was told it could be 6 months to a year...which, I appreciate the candid answer & honesty, but wasn't what I was expecting. Oddly enough, I have found that Serco in Europe will sell us this part, but the US company so far hasn't been much help. We're going to need more than one part, and the cost might be prohibitive--but we may have no choice depending on how much it costs to get it made by a machine shop.

So--buyer beware, now is not the time to go after any deals that seem too good to be true on Ilford processors. I know a university in my area that bought a machine last fall, and I've been offered at least 2 brand new ones in the past few weeks, at really low prices. Like 4 grand brand new which is incredible since we paid about 10K back in '93 for ours. But what kind of warranty can they offer on that? They have to legally support those things for 7 years past last one sold, and they can't even support the stuff right now....so I dunno. I wish them the best and hope they get bought out or resurrected or something so the service contracts come back and the parts are made again and all that. But it needs to happen soon, not a year from now. 6 months is even too long.

KT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin