Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,870   Online: 876

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    SNIP SNIP SNIP
    Quote Originally Posted by desertratt View Post
    I do not know where anybody gets this "I gotta have a filter" hooey.
    i think it was answell

id go for the fedora

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    SNIP SNIP SNIP

i think it was answell

id go for the fedora
    I think a Panama hat would be the best choice for summer shooting, whether it be a fedora style panama hat or a more classic plantation style Panama hat.

For winter, nothing beats a fedora, but I would go with a fairly wide-brim style, more in the spirit of a Film Noire hard bitten detective story theme.

Either way, the hat can be used as an improvised lens shade if held in one hand to shade the lens.

Besides, what could be more stylish than doing old fashioned black and white photography while wearing a hat to match the vintage of the medium?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, I know from personal experience tmax400 sensitivity like like normal film with a yellow filter. It's not badly priced if you buy it 20 rolls at a time for 35mm or pro-packs for 120.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was once told that I had to get yellow and red filters. Spent two weeks swapping filters, shooting up and down the west coast on my vacation, and I wish I had just left the damn things at home.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Arista gives me really white skys and acros gives me nice skies and so I guess Acros is less sensitive to blue.

Arista.edu 100 (foma 100) (35mm Rollei 35)

Untitled by Michael_Sergio_Barnes, on Flickr

Fuji Acros 100 (Rolleiflex 2.8E)

This is not a fair comparison in terms of grain/tones but you can get an idea of the spectral sensitivity. I like both for different reasons but overall I'd prefer Acros or TMAX. I don't shoot TMAX often but it rendered skies similarly to Acros. I personally don't bother with filters because I want as much speed as possible.

From my experience Tri-X and Hp5 renders skies OK too but I prefer the sensitivity of TMAX and Acros (no experience with Delta and very limited with Fp4). I like Foma 100 but it seems much more sensitive to blue than the other films that I use.

Kodak Tri-X (Nikon F100)

Last edited by msbarnes; 06-08-2013 at 12:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Michael | tumblr

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    For Desertratt, I would suggest a clown hat...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Filters have a place in your bag. I agree with Gerald, and find them useful where there's a lot of sky, and you want more cloud definition.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rollei Retro 80s is a good one to use with its slight red sensitivity although its exposure latitude is less than what you would expect from a typical black and white film. It's a beautiful film when shot and processed correctly, but a little pricey.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Any Black & White film can be used without a filter as long as it is not infrared film.
    And strangely enough, infrared film can be used without a filter in the same way a television can be used without an aerial.
    testing...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kevs View Post
    And strangely enough, infrared film can be used without a filter in the same way a television can be used without an aerial.
    Yes but that is just wasting the IR capability. Just because a car or truck can be driven into a river until the engine is flooded, does not mean that driving a car or truck into a river is the best use of the car or truck.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin