Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,543   Online: 1058

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Just because a car or truck can be driven into a river until the engine is flooded, does not mean that driving a car or truck into a river is the best use of the car or truck.
    Yeah, I guess you're right.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVTHs8BaOrU

Then there's these guys...
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnT7thvsPM4
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I never ever ever stated that those people had even as much intelligence as one celled organism have.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think anyone mentioned orthochromatic film, you don't need a filter when using it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Just because a car or truck can be driven into a river until the engine is flooded, does not mean that driving a car or truck into a river is the best use of the car or truck.
    Too many people seem to confuse the verbs can and should.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    Any ideas on some B&W 35mm film that I can use on a P&S that doesn't accept filters or have a manual ASA selection? I'm not sure if there are any current B&W films that do not need a yellow filter to get a good separation of colours. Even better if it was something cheap like Kentmere or Arista
    TMAX 100 is advertised as having less of a need for yellow filtration. Check the data sheet at Kodak. It ain't cheap like Arista.

My question is what are you doing with this camera? 35mm cameras are dirt cheap nowadays. You can get an excellent late model fancy SLR with a NEW nifty fifty lens for less than $200. Life is short.

Also I would be very careful with the DX coding. I have definitely had some nice cameras have trouble with the DX coding on Efke cannisters. I'm pretty sure something like Kodak Tmax 100 won't give you any problems but beyond big names like that you better check and make sure everything is registering correctly.

If you are going to have this camera for a while I would seriously think about investing in something less limiting.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think St Ansel wrote something along the lines of "pan film needs a yellow filter for what the eye perceives as normal tones" in The Negative. It should be remembered that Ansel loved big dramatic dark skies in his photos, a tradition that seems to be alive and well with many photographers.

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    SNIP SNIP SNIP

i think it was answell

id go for the fedora
    It is said that we remember the important things, if true, why photograph? I forget, so I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbau View Post
    I think St Ansel wrote something along the lines of "pan film needs a yellow filter for what the eye perceives as normal tones" in The Negative. It should be remembered that Ansel loved big dramatic dark skies in his photos, a tradition that seems to be alive and well with many photographers.
    A yellow filter will not produce a dramatic sky. I find the effect of basic yellow filters to be a bit too subtle. I actually prefer an orange filter and I an not scared to use a red filter if I feel it is justified. Although now I tend to also shoot an orange filter shot when I use red just in case it is too much. Heck I've used a red AND a polarizer at the same time. Greens are nice to lighten foliage while darkening the sky. But as has been said if you use a film like TMAX 100 it makes perfectly nice images without a filter. I will often rate TMAX 100 @ ISO 50 so if I am hand holding a filter of any sort is not an option. The world doesn't end in those circumstance. Photography like everything in life is about trade offs.

Ansel used a red filter for his famous half dome picture. That was not a yellow filter.

A basic yellow filter could never be called "dramatic" in my book.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A yellow filter will darken a blue sky compared to taking the same shot without a filter. The degree of darkening, yellow/orange/red is a matter of degrees.

I'm sure TMax 100 makes perfectly nice images without a filter, as does any B&W film.

Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post
    A yellow filter will not produce a dramatic sky. I find the effect of basic yellow filters to be a bit too subtle. I actually prefer an orange filter and I an not scared to use a red filter if I feel it is justified. Although now I tend to also shoot an orange filter shot when I use red just in case it is too much. Heck I've used a red AND a polarizer at the same time. Greens are nice to lighten foliage while darkening the sky. But as has been said if you use a film like TMAX 100 it makes perfectly nice images without a filter. I will often rate TMAX 100 @ ISO 50 so if I am hand holding a filter of any sort is not an option. The world doesn't end in those circumstance. Photography like everything in life is about trade offs.

Ansel used a red filter for his famous half dome picture. That was not a yellow filter.

A basic yellow filter could never be called "dramatic" in my book.
    It is said that we remember the important things, if true, why photograph? I forget, so I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbau View Post

hate to say this but yellow filters don't really darken the sky at all, maybe a tiny bit
    maybe enough to make clouds seem like they are there a bit more, but if your objective
    is to darken the sky, a yellow filter won't really do that ...

the person i was responding to was talking about how in nearly 50 years of professional photography
    he really found no use for using filters, and i pretty much agree with him .. unless it is for a specialized purpose
    like contrast control with paper negatives, or making ilford SFX film do its thing ...
    i find the use of filters by a lot of "landscape" photographers to be heavy handed in the very least
    and a lot of the time kind of hackneyed and clichéd ... cheezy velvia nudes at slot canyon ...

but what do i know ...
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i find the use of filters by a lot of "landscape" photographers to be heavy handed in the very least
    and a lot of the time kind of hackneyed and clichéd ... cheezy velvia nudes at slot canyon ...

but what do i know ...
    THAT'S where they keep em? Weird, I've spent a lot of time down in those places and never have come across any nudes. Maybe I need to look into Stone Donkey Canyon or Buckskin...
    K.S. Klain

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin