Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,197   Online: 964

Shooter
    35mm

Sodium metabisulfite and dichromate in reversal process

Why can't sodium or potassium metabisulfite be used in a clearing bath following a dichromate bleach?
    Last edited by Alessandro Serrao; 06-08-2013 at 07:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The recipe I have in front of me uses Sulfite, not Bisulfite which tells me the clearing bath should be neutral or alkaline, not acidic. This doesn't surprise me given that the bleach bath is quite acidic.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    35mm
    Rudeofus: then why with permanganic acid a metabisulfite clearing bath is used?
    I ask myself: what's the purpouse of the clearing bath?
    Is it to reduce CrVI to CrIII and to form Ag-sulfates complexes that are readily soluble in water?
    Sodium sulfite is Na2SO3, sodium metabisulfite is Na2S2O5. Looking at their chemical formulas I see that metabisulfite anion has five negatively charged oxygens (three of which are more negatively charged than the other two), the same as the anion in sulfite.
    So I guess the chemical reaction in bleach must be the same.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro Serrao View Post
    Rudeofus: then why with permanganic acid a metabisulfite clearing bath is used?
    I don't know for sure, but removing the products that are created when Permanganate/Dichromate are reduced seems like a plausible answer to me. Note that Dichromate is used both for intensifiers and for bleach, which means depending on exact formulation and post treatment you can leave the green stain in the emulsion or not.

Is it to reduce CrVI to CrIII and to form Ag-sulfates complexes that are readily soluble in water?
    You don't need Silver Sulfate complexes and I'm not even sure these exist. Silver Sulfate is water soluble on its own.

Sodium sulfite is Na2SO3, sodium metabisulfite is Na2S2O5. Looking at their chemical formulas I see that metabisulfite anion has five negatively charged oxygens (three of which are more negatively charged than the other two), the same as the anion in sulfite.
    Metabisulfite S2O52- is the anhydride form of Bisulfite HSO3-: Na2S2O5 + H2O <=====> 2 NaHSO3

which is the half way protonized version of Sulfite SO32-: NaHSO3 + H2O <=====> Na+ + H3O+ + SO32-

So yes, once in aqueous solution they are more or less the same except for the fact that Bisulfite/Metabisulfite is much more acidic.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    You don't need Silver Sulfate complexes and I'm not even sure these exist. Silver Sulfate is water soluble on its own.
    The bleach converts the Ag(0) to silver sulfates complexes that, as you say, are readily water soluble. So it "eats" away the negative image leaving the positive one to be fogged and developed later.

Clearing bath, as I understand it, only "neutralizes" the bleach and converts Cr(IV) to Cr(III).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    then why with permanganic acid a metabisulfite clearing bath is used?
    The clearing bath is used to insure that all chromium or manganese compounds are removed from the emulsion. Manganese easily forms manganese dioxide, a black, insoluble compound. The clearing bath must be acidic to prevent this compound from forming. Once formed manganese dioxide would be impossible to remove without destroying the emulsion.

I believe the reason why people have difficulty with permanganate bleaches is because they compound them improperly. Both the bleach itself and the clearing bath must be acidic.

When using a permanganate bleach it is important that the manganese goes from Mn (VII) to Mn (II). If the bleach process should be stopped at manganese dioxide Mn (IV) then roughly half the oxidizing power of the bleach is lost.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The bleach converts the Ag(0) to silver sulfates complexes that, as you say,
    I said Silver Sulfate, not Silver Sulfate complexes ....

And no, the Sulfate won't etch away Silver as a droplet of Potassium Bromide solution will quickly show you. It does provide an anion that at least does not precipitate Silver ions.

Clearing bath, as I understand it, only "neutralizes" the bleach and converts Cr(IV) to Cr(III).
    If "neutralizing" and "converting CrIV to CrIII " removes the chromium stain that is created (and used by chromium intensifiers), then the term "only" is a bit of an understatement ...

Shooter
    35mm
    I will answer myself.
    Metabisulfite is acidic in aqueous solution. Sulfite is alkaline.
    Potassium permanganate is reduced to potassium manganate (which is green) in an alkaline environment. In quasi-neutral environment it's reduced to manganese dioxide, which can leave brown spots embedded on the emulsion. Thus sulfite is not recommended for use with permanganate based bleach because of this.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin