Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,999   Posts: 1,524,316   Online: 854

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question: Color

Shooter
    35mm
    Off topic:
    Desertratt: for your 110 camera there is now a B&W film on sale with Lomography. They call it Orca 100 ISO. Some say it is made by Orwo, some by Lucky.
    My cameras:
    Fed 2
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    When Kodachrome was discontinued, I stopped using color unless it was required for a commercial assignment. Nowadays, since I only do photography for myself, I only use black and white film (TriX), no color and no digital.(period)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When Kodachrome was discontinued, I switched to the Ektachrome twins (E100G and E100VS), shooting the two stocks (35mm and 120) in about a 5:1 ratio. With the discontinuation of Ektachrome, I expect that, barring the reintroduction of Astia, I will be switching to Provia and Velvia for the bulk of my color work. That said, with the end of Kodachrome, I have begun shooting black and white in far greater quantities; at present, I would guess that the latter is now some 40 per cent of my work, an amount that will continue to grow as transparency options diminish...
    An assortment of F-series Nikons with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I develop and print B&W but don't shoot analog colour at present. I am however considering shooting and developing colour, probably transparencies.

Andrew

Shooter
    Large Format
    I started photography in the late 50s with Kodachrome 35mm exclusively. Then came Kodachrome II, a gorgeous best ever color film. Then started to dabble in b/w 35mm, but soon decided to move to MF, shooting Ektachome E3 and rarely color neg. Then came the Sinars (4x5, 5x7, 8x10) in the late 60s and continued with Ektachromes and Tri-X. Now only the Sinars remain and it’s b/w only, because I came to the conclusion that color trannies were just too confining for my preferences, i.e., not much room for deviation in the processes. Granted some subject matter demands color, but I get much more pleasure from manipulation in b/w which emphasizes shapes/forms better than color IMO. Then comes digital for which I have absolutely no interest and leave for those who do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My colour shooting varies, but I have stocked up on a fair quantity of 120 Ektachrome E100G.

I have some friends with a bunch of Ilfochrome materials and chemistry that we are trying to get reasonably calibrated. When that is up to snuff, I expect I will be printing a fair bit from the Ektachrome transparencies. I am also trying to be more diligent about mounting and projecting more of the slides. Otherwise, in the meantime, I scan them or have them scanned and have the labs print them (on RA4 paper) from the digital files.

I also shoot some C41 and have them scanned and print from the scans. I would like to get back to RA4 printing.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    I have a question for the b & w crowd. If you shoot b & w, and print your own images, but do NOT print any color, do you still shoot color film? If yes, what kind (negative or transparency)?

I am just curious how prevalent color film use is for people who are really into developing and printing b & w film.

Thanks!
    Yes, I occasionally use colour film or both varieties for happy snaps, and for more serious work. I did print colour once (RA-4 and Ciba), but I never got the results I wanted and the chemistry was uneconomic because it didn't last very long. Also I don't like the surface of resin-coated or plastic papers. If a fibre-based colour paper were to be made available it might tempt me to try again...

Cheers,
    kevs
    testing...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm not sure what this color you mention is. I do use colour film occasionally though.

Steve.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear RattyMouse,

About a third of the film I shoot is color and essentially 100% of that is negative film. For me, being able to optically print is half the fun and it is just much cheaper and easier to create a good image from negative film.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do the same proportion as Neal, about 1/3 color neg (no slide film for me). I develop all my own color and B/W film, and scan the color to be lab-printed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin