Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,970   Posts: 1,632,726   Online: 811

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question: Color

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    I am just curious how prevalent color film use is for people who are really into developing and printing b & w film.

Thanks!
    For many of us, our "color" work is not to be mentioned here ...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    For many of us, our "color" work is not to be mentioned here ...
    If you mean scanning transparency, well with the scarcity of Cibichrome, I think scanning and printing from scan is mentionable as it "represents the final print" also as someone mentioned, the final "print" IS the transparency, so any further work on it after you've developed the E-6 is just like scanning a print

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    I have a question for the b & w crowd. If you shoot b & w, and print your own images, but do NOT print any color, do you still shoot color film? If yes, what kind (negative or transparency)?

I am just curious how prevalent color film use is for people who are really into developing and printing b & w film.

Thanks!
    I shoot some color. The problem with color is expense. Since I don't print my own color I have to get it scanned. Scanning is a bit of a pain. I would do it more but when you have to monkey around with the colors it becomes a real pain. I like to scan or get proof prints just for proofing. Even though I develop and print my own B&W I still scan all of it. It is easier and cheaper to proof. My scans may not be perfect but they are good enough for my purposes. The problem comes in with color. If the color balance/hue are slightly off it can be very distracting. Besides I've gotten good scans from NCPS. The problem though is they charge substantially more if you send them rolls that have already been developed. So that forces you to send your rolls to them to be developed. I don't get it. If their scanning was cheaper I would do a lot more business with them.

Anyway I shoot Ektar and Portra 160 and 400. I also shoot Provia and Velvia. That's pretty much covers the ever shrinking world of color. Well I suppose there is the Fuji C-41 stuff. Kodak hasn't given me a reason to use the Fuji stuff so I don't.

My unimportant rolls get developed at Walmart. They still return negatives for all medium format film. Walmart send out services gives you some crappy proof prints if you order them. Then you only have to scan the ones you really like.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    That qualifier seems a bit odd RattyMouse. What are you trying to figure out?
    I'm sorry, I was not clear. I meant do not print themselves at home. Printing color yourself is more rare than monochrome I believe so want to understand what people do who are not up to printing their own color.

Thanks for all the replies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I printed color years ago but haven't in a long time. Probably 3/4s or more of my work is black and white, maybe closer to 85%. Of the color, I mainly shoot transparency in 35mm, for projection and "while I still can" and color neg in 120, for prints. I send it to Dwayne's, for now anyway.

Oddly enough, one reason I sometimes shoot color is a scarcity of time. I just don't have time to develop and print nearly all of my black and white. I have film I shot months ago that still needs to be developed, and negatives I shot a year or more ago I've yet to print. Just...not...enough...time. Having no running water in my improvised darkroom means a lot more set up and clean up time too so if I don't have at least 2-3 hours to devote to it, I don't bother. With color I just fill out the form, pop it all in the envelope, and drop by the Post Office kiosk next time I'm out.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Almost all of the film that I expose is B&W, which I process and print myself, at home.
    I also shoot a little colour transparency film which I process at home, then, if I get something that I like, I send it out to be scanned, and I manipulate and print using non analog methods.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I shoot about half color negative and half b/w. Spring and fall are times for color film to me so almost everything that time of year is color negative, mostly C-41 but I fool around with ECN-2 from time to time. This spring though, I did finish off a nearly full roll in the K-1000 that turned out to be TMAX 100 which was kind of interesting for spring subjects. All of it is processed in my basement.

I have been hell bent to print all the color myself and have the chems and paper but not the time for all the photography things I like to try to do. So I may scan some of it and send it out just to get it on paper. My daughter bought me a little Pandigital scanner last year at BBB which does a really respectable job for what it cost. All automated and the files are perfect to send off to Shutterfly or Wally-world.
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I print from transparencies (analogue-to-digital hybridized) all the time. It's not so long ago I was touched by the B&W bug but it didn't take off given my very long standing in production of colour work for exhibition and display. It seems historically that the most B&W printing I've had done is from my pinhole camera in the 6x6 format; I really do like the effect and each mono image has pride of place somewhere nearby the big and pricey colour jobs. At the moment I have Acros 100 loaded in my XA, and I don't know why...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    When I picked up film again a few years ago, my original plan was going to be film for black and white and digital for colour. That lasted about 3 months.

At the moment I am probably 60/40 b&w/colour. I do print in both , but I am finding colour harder to get a handle on. I am not giving up on it though (but I have started to neg scan a bit more)
    If you get a chance, check out my new Facebook Page, Kustoms On Silver!

Hoffy's Flickr Photostream (Not quite analog Only, but nearly!)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin