Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,569   Posts: 1,545,465   Online: 1188

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question: Color

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Question: Color

I have a question for the b & w crowd. If you shoot b & w, and print your own images, but do NOT print any color, do you still shoot color film? If yes, what kind (negative or transparency)?

I am just curious how prevalent color film use is for people who are really into developing and printing b & w film.

Thanks!

I use an occasional roll or sheet of color film. I haven't darkroom printed my own color in nearly 20 years. I scan and print it with an inkjet printer. Most of my color images now are captured digitally. Pro labs are pretty much a thing of the past here, and mailing my film to a good lab is expensive. I try to support that lab if at all possible, but the expense and inconvenience of color film have pretty much finished it for me.

That said, color film comprises about 5% or less of my film usage. I process my own B&W film. I scan it and print digitally. That makes me primarily a hybrid-workflow photographer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All of my color is transparency. For sharing I scan, same as for b&w prints, because the transparency itself is already the final output, just like a print.

In years past all of my transparency was Kodachrome. Now it's Fujifilm, of course. Provia 100 & 400 in 35mm and 6x6/6x7 (in that GF670 folder). I have a project in mind for 4x5 color, but it hasn't progressed yet to the point of making exposures.

I would love to have Astia back. Then again, I'd love even more to have Kodachrome back. Then again, I'd really, really love to have my youth back. Or at least some parts of it. But none of these things are going to come back. So Provia it is. Until at some point it too isn't.

I'm glad that b&w is my main interest.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shoot a few sheets of fuji instant color once in a while. It's it's medium and won't be around forever probably. I shoot some color negative film may 1 roll every 20 rolls of B&W. Portra 160 is what I consider most versatile with the big dynamic range like I enjoy in B&W. I have a lab process it and I scan it. I liked Kodachrome, but Portra has much more flexibility and is more forgiving. The rest of my color these days is with a Nikon d600.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    When I shoot color it is always transperiencies and I just print my own Ilfochromes. Good and fun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    ...but do NOT print any color...
    That qualifier seems a bit odd RattyMouse. What are you trying to figure out?
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I still shoot colour, mostly slides (provia), which accounts for not more than 10% of my shooting. On rare occasions I might shoot some colour neg (portra). In both cases I can get them easily developed, but I don't make prints from them, just scan the ones I like.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I'm about the same, 5% or 10% color shooter on film. Almost exclusively transparency Fuji film, I DID have an epic Kodachrome run, but now it's Fuji Provia100f and Velvia50 in 120 most of the time.

I don't like color negs, I keep trying to like them, but haven't been wow's yet, I do have some sitting waiting for me to process, so soon we shall see.

And yes I process all of my E6 an C41, the availability of chemistry and the cost is why I don't shoot more honestly.

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    I shoot all my snaps on color neg and send them out, invariably to have them printed. Commercial tabletop are often but not always shot on 4x5 transparency, they wind up being scanned. I also shoot some 6x17 on chrome for grins, the best get printed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I shoot color it is 35mm C-41. Have it develop at Costco.

Jeff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin