Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,754   Posts: 1,515,938   Online: 996

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ilford Pan F / Yashica T5 (T4 Super)

I just shot a roll of Ilford Pan F Plus 50 with my Yashica T5 (same as the T4 Super). While I have a mix of shots, the lion's share -- and the ones I'm most concerned about -- is of indoor portraits taken using the on-camera flash. Maybe not the best choice of film for that -- but it's what I had with me.

Anyway, this is my first experience with this film; I typically shoot Tri-X or Neopan and develop in D76 1:1. I've read that many people shoot Pan F at 25; I've also read that the T5 flash tends to (sometimes) overexpose -- though I've only seen that statement made anecdotally. So I'm not sure what to expect. Research indicates that D76 is a bit further down the list of preferred developers for Pan F. I'm willing to sacrifice some of the fine grain goodness for well-exposed shots if it comes to that. Thoughts?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Who sez D-76 is way down the list????? I love Pan F+ in D-76 1+1. True, it tends to be contrasty, but box speed works for me in my Olys and Mamiya TLRs.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    D-76 should be fine but for 35mm in this case (T4 with flash) I'd do it stock not 1-1.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm in love with this camera. Still trying to slowly find my favorite developer/film combo for it. Not there yet. Pan F+ and FP4+ seem to show the aesthetics that I care for better than the Tri-X that I've been using to date. I hope you update this thread with your findings!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bvy View Post
    I just shot a roll of Ilford Pan F Plus 50 with my Yashica T5 (same as the T4 Super). While I have a mix of shots, the lion's share -- and the ones I'm most concerned about -- is of indoor portraits taken using the on-camera flash. Maybe not the best choice of film for that -- but it's what I had with me.

Anyway, this is my first experience with this film; I typically shoot Tri-X or Neopan and develop in D76 1:1. I've read that many people shoot Pan F at 25; I've also read that the T5 flash tends to (sometimes) overexpose -- though I've only seen that statement made anecdotally. So I'm not sure what to expect. Research indicates that D76 is a bit further down the list of preferred developers for Pan F. I'm willing to sacrifice some of the fine grain goodness for well-exposed shots if it comes to that. Thoughts?
    Ilford Perceptol is a fine-grain developer that should work well with Pan F Plus; otherwise D-76 / ID-11 will do an excellent job. Whose research are we taking about here? ID-11 may be far down your list, but it's pretty darn close to the top of mine!

Cheers,
    kevs
    testing...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    D76 works very well with Pan-F at 1+3; at that dilution it has basically no solvent effect so you don't lose the Pan-F sharpness.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had no problems with Pan F+ & D-76. Can you get your hands on Rodinal? Pan F+ & R09 spoiled me for anything else for a while
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    PanF+ in Rodinal is also my choice, try that (Adox Adonal or R09)

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    D-76 should be fine but for 35mm in this case (T4 with flash) I'd do it stock not 1-1.
    Thanks. Interesting response -- I'm very curious why you recommend stock. Can you elaborate?

Shooter
    35mm
    I have also used D-76 1+1 with Pan F plus and in my personal experience the combination is really beautiful. I particularly like the scale of tones when the film is exposed on a sunny day. I have read somewhere that D76 or other solvent developers should not be used stock with slow emulsions, as the sharpness will suffer, but I have never tried myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin