Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,776   Posts: 1,516,700   Online: 1218

Shooter
    Medium Format

Ilford selenium versus KRST

I cannot get Kodak selenium toner here in Australia but the Ilford selenium toner is available. I used the Kodak selenium for many years and am just curious if the Ilford product behaves the same and gives similar results.

Thanks

Mark
    It is said that we remember the important things, if true, why photograph? I forget, so I photograph.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello Mark,
    I think that nearly all selenium toners on the market are based on the same base formulation: Sodiumselenite (about 2 g) + sodiumsulfite (about 15 g) + ammoniumthiosulfate (about 27 g) dissolved in water (56 ml) like KRST. Maybe the ratio of the substances and their concentration vary a little bit and the dilution is a little bit different.
    I think the older versions of elementary red selenium dissolved in a sodiumsulfide solution or red selenium dissolved in a sodiumsulfite solution are no longer on the market.
    If you have access to chemicals please remember that sodiumselenite (Na2SeO3) is very very toxic, especially when inhaled!!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I have found them to be quite similar.
    I switched to the Ilford product recently and I do not have any issues, and my times seem to be very close, if anything the Ilford product is a bit stronger acting at my dilution of 1:5

Shooter
    Large Format
    Mark, when I did the Harman/Ilford factory tour some years ago I asked Simon Galley how their new selenium toner compared with KRST, and he said that they are essentially the same.

George

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all the helpful posts, I shall buy the Ilford toner later this week!
    It is said that we remember the important things, if true, why photograph? I forget, so I photograph.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin