Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,771   Posts: 1,484,328   Online: 1130

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Argghh, darn drying screen stains!

I had about 10 sheets left on my Oriental Seagul 11x14 fiber/mg/glossy. Made some prints, looked good, me happy. I been printing RC for a while and this time, I took out the old homemade drying screen. This morning...after drying overnight...arghhh, I had stains on my prints from the screens. Guess I should've cleaned the screens cause I haven't used them in a while.

Do you think I can rewash the prints? Stains are "in" the emulsion aren't they?

Well, I know I'll be picking up some screen door mesh screens this afternoon at the hardware store. Cheaper to restaple new ones that clean those.

I should listen to myself sometimes..."make it nice..not twice".

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

screens

Eric-you might just want to clean those with soap and water. Are you drying face up? I always dry face up even though I'm sure that you can do it face down. I never have a problem face up and my screens are practically on the floor of my darkroom all the time
    Peter

Shooter
    35mm

Try it and find out.

I would guess that the stains are there to stay but rewashing in very inexpensive. You will either see them or not when they have redried.
    What I do is to buy the fiberglass screening and use thumbtacks to attach it to the ceiling joists in my basement. Because the most likely contaminant is fixer, I bleach them in household every other time I use them and give them a good rinse. Household bleach will neutralize the fixer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Peters -- Face up? I always did (for some strange habit), do fiber face down and RC face up. Lately, I've been lazy, and drying RC on a towel in the kitchen

Claire --Bleach? Can you tell me your process? Cause...bleach is liquid and screens ...well..they have holes. Do you put bleach on a cloth and wipe? Put it in spray bottle? How do the prints stay on the screens up on the ceiling?

Images
    Stay away from metal screens of any sort except possibly aluminum.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Face up to it!

Eric-face up no problem; just put another screen on top for the curl effect and then put under some weight when dry.I used to do face down cause that's what I was told. Seems too simlple. I second Claire for the bleach process-don't forget to hose down with clean water afterward
    Peter

In my opinion washing softens the emulsion, therefore I would never place anything on the face of a drying print, fiber or RC.

On top of that metal screens are not a good idea. As for trying to get the stains out you could try washing again but it may not work.

We've all learned these things the hard way and I think that now you have as well.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    35mm

My process

I am using fiberglass screen. I pull out the thumb tacks, fold up the screen, pour some bleach and water into a bucket. Then I use the highly technical process called sozzling, I bleach them, rinse them and hang the screen up to dry. OF course being brave but not a damn fool I do this when my spouse is not likely to catch me. If you wish to keep clean your screen between uses fold it up and put it into a plastic bag.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ahhhh, I get it. The screens are rolled up! I built something that looks like the old Zone VI stuff...with 1"x2" wood. I went home for lunch today, and I can't find my heavy duty stapler...must've got lost on the move with my enlarger lenses. Dope!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin