Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,958   Posts: 1,586,112   Online: 1149

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Get some 100ml/250ml bottles and split it up. I stuck mine in the bottom of the refrigerator and I do flood it with nitrogen after using what I need. Last time I used it was a year after buying it and it seemed ok. There's still no precipitate in it. Your mileage may vary tho.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    ...its keeping properties were dreadful. Similar to xtol...
    The myth that XTOL has poor keeping qualities is busted and should not be further propagated. When properly handled, XTOL provides just-mixed quality for at least twice Kodak's specified maximum storage life:

It might last even longer, but I use up the 5 liters within a year and haven't had to keep any stock solution beyond that.

To the point of this thread, my primary film/developer combination is Delta 100 and XTOL 1+3. Times are very manageable and small errors not critical, especially with rotary processing at our higher ambient temperatures here. Ilfosol 3 demands uncomfortably short processing times.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I mixed up some Xtol, put it several small full glass bottles, and set them aside for a age test. I used a bottle every 3 months and that went on for over 3 years. All bottles worked film until I used the last one up 3 years after mixing it.

Used distilled water

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    That was Ilfosol-S. Yes its keeping properties were dreadful. Similar to xtol.
    Ilfosol-3 keeps for a much longer period and it's not the same formula.
    NO, I was speaking about Ilfosol 3 which appears to have a short life compared to other developers. There was a thread some time ago about the problem
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ilford indicates a solution life of 24 months in full bottles and 4 months in half full bottles. This compares to 6 months in half full bottles for Ilford's other liquid developers.

Ilford describes it only as an enhanced version of Ilfosol S. It is not clear whether or not the reformulation had anything to do with keeping properties, but note Ilford's indicated keeping properties for Ilfosol 3 are the same as in the Ilfosol S documentation. Recommended developing times for Ilfosol 3 are quite different than for Ilfosol S, which may or may not be an indication the formulation is significantly different (although the pH is identical).

Shooter
    35mm
    I have used Ilfosol 3 frequently over the last 5 or 6 years. It gives good results with Delta 100, but I also find that it goes off quickly. If you make up 500ml for each film, you get 10 films to a bottle. If you get through that amount of film in 2 months, you should be ok. I have tried using Tetenal Protectan spray to preserve it, but it made no difference. If you only process one film a month, something like HC110 might be better. Alex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Did you guys find any difference between the two Ilfosol 3 dilutions (1+9 and 1+14), like there are between D76 dilutions?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Don,

I read the others comments, I started with ilfsol 3, being really cheap and not being able to buy Rodinal at the time because it was the only thing on the shelf, it's a great developer and being cheap I tried re-using it with tons of success, I could develop about 6 rolls safely, adding only 30 seconds dev time to each new roll. It's supposed to be a 1 shot but I never used it that way and never had an issue. It gets a little grainier on the last two films but the exposure seemed ok.

I now use HC-110 an Rodinal for most everything and DD-X for the REALLY special stuff because let's face it DD-X is awesome for Tgrain and for pushing films.

But ilfsol 3 seems good, and the times listed on the massive dev chart seem relatively accurate. But I agree pushing high speed films isn't recommended, I used ilfsol 3 on p3200 and D3200 and both came out dark at the given times and very grainy.

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370995025.038476.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	213.7 KB 
ID:	70039

Tmax400 with red filter in ilfsol 3 (35mm)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370995049.946673.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	211.9 KB 
ID:	70040

Panatomic-X in ilfsol 3 (120)

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is that T-max 400 image from a negative or print scan? The grain is extremely high.

Tom

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin