Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,687   Posts: 1,548,643   Online: 1207

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Tips for IR shooting?

My Heliopan IR filter finally came in after waiting almost 9 weeks, now I'm waiting on my 5x7 IR film to come in so I can start some shooting. I have a few rolls of Efke IR in 120 that I want to shoot, but the last time I shot IR was in the early 90's on Kodak high speed IR. Any tips on what the best time of day, angle of the sun, etc . would be? I can't believe I forgot all of this.

Which Heliopan IR filter? I shoot Efke IR in 4x5 8x10 and it isn't anything like good 'ol kodak stock. With kodak's, you could easily obtain excellent IR effects with just a wratten #25 filter. I miss that film...
    I don't care what time of day or year it is. If the sun is out or not. I still shoot it either with a #89 opaque or #29. With the #89 I use an EI of .75... yes, .75 My metre only goes down to 12, so I have to open up by 4 stops. EI 6 with the #29 filter. I develop in D-19 made from scratch. I need the contrast for carbon transfer printing.
    It will be a sad day when I run out of my modest stash of IR 8x10 film... Mind you, I still have a couple of boxes of Kodak 4x5 IR that expired in 1967 that still works albeit slight fogging!!
    Last edited by Andrew O'Neill; 06-12-2013 at 04:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bracket your exposures!

Also, shoot one frame on your first roll without a filter and exposed for the normal rating. That way you get a cross check on the processing, etc.

Shooter
    Large Format
    This is the Filter

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ng_Filter.html

I had the 5x7 custom cut from some AGFA B&W aerial recon film. The 120 rolls I have now are just some Efke I had that I never shot. I might pick up a roll or two of the Rollei IR if it's any better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    This is the Filter

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ng_Filter.html

I had the 5x7 custom cut from some AGFA B&W aerial recon film. The 120 rolls I have now are just some Efke I had that I never shot. I might pick up a roll or two of the Rollei IR if it's any better.

My advice? Return the filter.

You did not seriously just pay $240 for a filter you will only use sporadically? Why don't you just go onto ebay and buy a filter for $20-$30 and see if that gets the job done? That's all I and most people use. $240! WTF?!

And yes I own a heliopan 77mm polariazer and a bunch of genuine Rollei Bayonet VI contrast filters. I am not afraid to use the good stuff but $240 for that?!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    See here and examples in IR820, including LF.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use EFKE IR film with a Hoya R72. I find an 820 filter doesn't work will with the EFKE. With an 820, I needed about 30 sec. at f16 in full sun. With the 720, it's one to two seconds at f16. In fact, I usually go with one second at f5.6. I've found this to work well.
    I'm now out of EFKE, so I need to try the Rollie IR film - I have half a dozen rolls in 120 to try this summer.
    This would work well: http://www.ebay.com/itm/52mm-52-mm-I...item4844377605
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Far be it for me to tell you how to spend your money -- but in 2010 I bought a 77 mm Bower IR72 (720 nm cutoff) filter for $47 from an ePrey vendor that has done well for me.

The 720 is definitely the way to go with the Rollei material, although I've also used an 89B which I believe is about 695. With the EFKE IR, a 760 worked pretty well, but it needed another 6 stops exposure with the Rollei stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdunek View Post
    I'm now out of EFKE, so I need to try the Rollie IR film - I have half a dozen rolls in 120 to try this summer.
    Well, if you weren't shooting EFKE for the AURA effect, then you will most likely find the Rollei to be wonderful and a much better IR film.
    With the Hoya R72, you are looking at ISO 6-12 with Rollei 400IR, roughly.
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought a Heliopan 715 IR filter on this forum for about $20. I use Rollei IR 400, late afternoon, shady shots are about F16 @ 4 seconds.

I get results like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-06-09__6.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	177.6 KB 
ID:	70186

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-06-09_5.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	502.3 KB 
ID:	70187

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin