Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,037   Online: 815

Shooter
    Medium Format

Has anyone used Agfa Fix-AG?

I recently picked up some Agfa Fix-AG which I've not used before. The dilutions listed on the bottle for FB paper fixing are 1:7 and 1:9 The respective times for these dilutions are 1-3 minutes and 3-5 minutes.

I would love to be able to use it at 1:7 for 1 minute fixing time to minimise fixer retention and wash times but can anyone verify this is Ok. Should I just go with the standard 1:4 dilution if I want short fixing times?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The shorter times are for fresh fixer. As the fixer is reused the fixing time will become longer. So you might be able to get by with 1 min for the first few prints. But I would not recommend it..
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I cracked open an age-old 5L bottle of Agfa fix last fall. Some sediment on the bottom, but I decanted the top, mixed it up, and it worked still. Was noticeably weaker, so I used it more concentrated, and for prints only--I can always remake those.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Usually fixer concentrate tends to sulfur out over the years. It's still usable, but yes, I would up the concentration and avoid getting the particulate matter involved. That being said, a small amount of particulate won't harm anything.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin