Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,505   Posts: 1,543,485   Online: 1038

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd say if it bothers you, contact the vendor and return it or at least discuss with someone. While 5 months is still within expiration date, it's kind of short. Regardless, if you aren't pleased with it, that's just it. It'd bother me if I were in your place. I know of two other vendors who sell short dated film but they advertise it as such and discount them.

Do you plan to consume all of the film in 5 months? I typically don't as I keep enough stock here on hand.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I was in the eight grade I was told that color film was best the closer it was to expiration. Was there any truth in this?
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There seems to be some confusion about professional vs amateur color film. Because the response of color film changes with age, at one time amateur and professional film were treated differently. I don't know if this is still necessary with modern films. Amateur film was released for sale shortly after manufacture and so had a long life as indicated by the expiration date. Professional film was retained until a certain point in its life so that professional photographers had some assurance as to the film's color response.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does anyone watch the show The Big Bang Theory? Then you know it is wise never to eat in a restaurant again where you have sent food back for any reason.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bit of a non-issue. It means the seller has held onto the stock for some time and the expiry date is coming up this year. Freeze it and it will keep well.
    Besides which, B&W film doesn't suffer from expiry as noticeably as e.g. transparency film that hasn't been optimally stored.

Shooter
    35mm
    Nothing to worry about....it's not food! And film doesn't self-destruct on the expiry date.

The only problem would be if the film had been blatently abused or badly stored...e.g. sitting in the sun in a shop window for a month. In that case, it wouldn't matter whether the expiry date was 5 months or 5 years away!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Because the response of color film changes with age, at one time amateur and professional film were treated differently. I don't know if this is still necessary with modern films. Amateur film was released for sale shortly after manufacture and so had a long life as indicated by the expiration date. Professional film was retained until a certain point in its life so that professional photographers had some assurance as to the film's color response.

Actually, as I remember it from my color negative days at Kodak, the sensitometric properties of color negative film change the most in the period right after coating. Because amateur film can stay in a camera, at room temperature, for a long time, amateur film was aged before slitting and packaging so that the film changed only slightly after it was sold. Professional film was though to be shot and processed promptly and it was slit and packaged shortly after coating and shipped (and stored) refrigerated.
    Last edited by Prof_Pixel; 06-14-2013 at 06:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Personally, I'm more concerned about how it's been stored than what the date says.
    My few local stores around that still sell film all have them in a fridge, some have all their stock in that fridge from the date that it come in, some have a fridge or freezer out the back.
    I was in Singapore last week, where the average temp is 24-31C (75-88F) year-round, and the coldest ever on record is 19.4C. I ran out of 100B+W film and went to find some. A few shops around Peninsula Plaza had some, mostly only Slide films and one had Neopan400. They were all just sitting on a shelf. Eventually I found some Delta100Pro, also sitting on a shelf (they did have a fridge there, but it was dedicated to 100' rolls and 4x5").

Frankly, I'd rather trust my local shops, where I know it's been sitting in a fridge all its life (besides a bit of transport), I'd have no qualms about buying it near- or even over-date from them.
    Those shops in Singapore, however, the date may be a few months or even a year in the future, but I'd be more concerned about buying from them (especially the Silde films).
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    35mm
    I wish that I was good enough that a couple of months on my film made any difference.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought this TMax 100 with the 11/2013 date from Adorama back in April and May.

They were selling it for $2.99 per 36 exposure roll.

The expiration date was clearly noted in the description.

After the price returned to $4.50 a roll, I bought more and the
    expiration was 5/2015

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin