Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,861   Posts: 1,583,169   Online: 745
      
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 55
  1. #41
    Pioneer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Elko, Nevada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,187
    Images
    4
    I buy TMX100 in bulk all the time and lately a lot of the rolls I have received are dated 11/2013. These have been coming from Adorama. Since I know that TMX stores very well I don't even worry about it. I have successfully loaded and shot bulk rolls that were dated June 1994 that I was given a couple of years ago.

  2. #42
    Poisson Du Jour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Vic., Australia.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,684
    Images
    15
    Around 0° to 4°C for short-term ready-to-use storage.
    –10°C to –20°C for long-term (years+) storage. However, this will increase the risk of embrittlement of the film. It will need at least 24 hours at room temperature before use.
    Frost-free fridges are best otherwise moisture will ice rolls up internally.

    I have 6 rolls of Astia 135/36 deep-frozen in August 2005.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

  3. #43

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    I buy TMX100 in bulk all the time and lately a lot of the rolls I have received are dated 11/2013. These have been coming from Adorama. Since I know that TMX stores very well I don't even worry about it. I have successfully loaded and shot bulk rolls that were dated June 1994 that I was given a couple of years ago.
    Thank you. That is a very interesting and useful data point. I've purchased film from Adorama both through mail order and in person while in NYC and I've found them in my experience to be honest brokers at least in regards to film. So it would appear whatever is going on it is not isolated to the supplier I ordered from.

  4. #44
    Dave Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    393
    I just returned a bulk roll of TMax 100 to B&H because its expiration date was November, just two months past the expiration date of the same film purchased from them back in 2011. I don't think there's any question about it being short dated and I think it should have been advertised as such by any company that cares about its reputation. I assumed this case was an accident because I believe B&H does care about their reputation, but I will still hesitate to buy film from them again in the future.

    Once I load a 100 foot spool into a film loader, I do not keep it in the fridge because I don't want to repeatedly subject it to condensation every time I take it out to load a cassette.

    How long you can make it last by keeping it cold seems to be completely beside the point. Film that expires within a few months is not fresh and shouldn't be passed off as fresh. No one I have ever done business with has sold me film that expires that soon without telling me so before the sale.

  5. #45
    Mainecoonmaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,192
    Images
    6
    Chances are, the film is fine. If you're not happy, return it and teach them a lesson for not telling you the whole story about the film. If you complain, you might get some sort of credit. Most retailer want return business.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

  6. #46
    Terry Christian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    595
    Images
    18
    Fewer customers are buying film, so I personally wouldn't be concerned about a shorter date than usual, unless it became a regular occurrence.

  7. #47

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by drkhalsa View Post
    I bought this TMax 100 with the 11/2013 date from Adorama back in April and May.

    They were selling it for $2.99 per 36 exposure roll.

    The expiration date was clearly noted in the description.
    That's the way it should be done.

    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Christian View Post
    Fewer customers are buying film, so I personally wouldn't be concerned about a shorter date than usual, unless it became a regular occurrence.
    My question was posed in the context of my prior experience. Like I said a couple of months ago I was getting 2015 film and then all of a sudden these guys send me Nov 2013 stuff. Whether or not people are using less or more film you would think the inventory system still works on FIFO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Krueger View Post
    I just returned a bulk roll of TMax 100 to B&H because its expiration date was November, just two months past the expiration date of the same film purchased from them back in 2011. I don't think there's any question about it being short dated and I think it should have been advertised as such by any company that cares about its reputation. I assumed this case was an accident because I believe B&H does care about their reputation, but I will still hesitate to buy film from them again in the future.
    B&H too?! Well that is astonishing. And that is in 35mm. Mine was 120. Where is this November 2013 stuff coming from? I've been buying 2015 stuff for months and now this?! Something is odd.

    That is way out of order on bulk rolls. I know some people didn't want to answer my two direct questions in the OP and just sweep this under the rug but your situation was exactly what I was thinking of. Whatever a businesses wants to do is their business but I was wondering about an aberration from what I understood to the norm. Most people spoke about situations where the information was disclosed and the price reduced. I have no problem with that because you can plan. But as in your situation if they don't disclose the information prior to sale you really can't plan. This was not started as an anti-short dated film thread. I didn't think I would have to swat that strawman down. This thread was about planning, reasonable exceptions, and how to evaluate a supplier. Sloppiness in areas you can tolerate and compensate for does not bode well for quality of service in areas you can't tolerate and compensate for. But really if this is going on at B&H who can you trust?

  8. #48

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio USA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    671
    Look at this short date film, same date, Nov 2013.

    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/115365...t-Date-Special

  9. #49

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,268
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post
    That's the way it should be done.
    Agreed. That is how is should be, in an ideal world. If knowing hte date of the film being bought is important then these are the type of suppliers to consider first! (Incidentally, I was the victim of bait-and-switch with Adorama on a film buy last year, so...)

    My opinion, as expressed earlier, is very different than is yours about what short-dated is and what compensation should be offered. In general, I welcome any discount offered for "short-dated film" but don't expect it and don't feel entitled to such consideration. If offered, I gladly accept but only expect a discount on out-dated film.

    p.s. I've been a film buyer since about 1980... and for about 20 of those years a BULK film buyer. A discount on one pro-pack is chump change in my experience.

  10. #50
    Pioneer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Elko, Nevada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,187
    Images
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmquinn View Post
    Look at this short date film, same date, Nov 2013.

    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/115365...t-Date-Special
    Thanks for the link. I just picked up a bunch of this. The price is great and this stuff lasts halfway to forever.

    As for announcing that a film is short dated, I suspect that has as much to do with a given store's policy as anything. You may want to contact BH Photo and ask them what their particular policy may be regarding selling film.

    I would also agree that in some cases it probably is an unavoidable symptom of a general slow down in film purchasing, particularly related to medium format and bulk films. Large format may already have suffered through these problems a few years back.

    Of course, there could be a very simple reason. Perhaps someone at Kodak found a whole bunch of stuff in the back of the warehouse that was expiring in November 2013 and rushed it out the door before it actually expired.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin