Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,055   Online: 1041

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Ethics and Definition of "Short Dated" Film

I usually buy film from the usual outlets (Adorama, Freestyle, Maco, B&H) but I was in a crunch and sourced film from a different retailer and when it arrived today the box had an expiration date of 11/2013. It was a box of TMAX 100. This film was sold as new. There was no indication that it was short dated. Does an expiration date 5 months out qualify as short dated? Should this be indicated in the advertisement? I freeze everything and I will probably use all that film by then but I have my reservations about giving those people any more of my business. Am I being uptight?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post
    Am I being uptight?
    Take this from an expert at being uptight - yes.

The film you bought sounds to me to be both new and in date at time of sale. I would call "June 15, 2013" to be short-dated. Fear not, that film will be just as good three years from now.

Shooter
    35mm
    In most reputable retailers in the U.K. I think this would be labelled "short-dated" but only just as it still has 5 months to run. It would probably be reduced in price but not by much with 5 months to run. Maybe the retailer in question operates to a shorter timescale, like 3 months, before applying the label.

In reality and given you freeze everything, then what you have bought is as good as say TMax which still had a year to run when you couldn't expect it to be labelled "short-dated"

Always nice to get a price reduction but I don't think you will suffer.

Key to this is whether no short-dated label indicates a retailer who is less concerned for the customer in other ways that might make you think twice about using that source again.

I'd contact the retailer and point out that you were surprised that with only 5 months before expiry it wasn't labelled short-dated.

The reaction you get will tell you all you need to know about whether the retailer is worth using again

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would contact the retailer, express my concern, ask about how they store their inventory, and ask them to confirm they obtained the film from a regular Kodak distributor.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, you are being too uptight. The film IS new and it is NOT short dated. Go out and take pictures and relax.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is Friday, have a couple of beers, relax and enjoy life.

Tomorrow you can contact Michal Moore, he can make a doco about this horrible story. Working title: A short dated lie?
    Or just relax and enjoy life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    ^^^
    - Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by desertratt View Post
    Big time professional photographers who shoot/shot film went to great lengths to obtain film that was green not ripe (like fruit) and was stored correctly before they bought it. If you want green, not ripe film, you will have to expend a lot of time and effort than it seems you have done. Did you ask anything about the film or just expect nothing but the best? If you want the best you have to put out the effort. Nobody said this film thing was easy.
    i know someone who used to inter-store deliver between stores
    and the pro film was never on ice, it was in a box in the back of his 80-90º van
    sometimes while the van was stopped for an hour between deliveries ..
    so even if you think it was stored correctly it wasn't
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    TMX seems to store very well. I'm shooting some TMX sheet film from 2003 and it looks great. I also have some TMX from 2009 that has some base fog, but is otherwise ok. I wouldn't have any concerns at all about short-dated TMX.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Freestyle keeps their non kodak, non fuji sheet films on a shelf at room temp too. 10years ago you'd never get film that exp in 5 months. I've had it happen once and that was Adorama.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin