Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,846   Posts: 1,582,730   Online: 895

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

There's something growing in my fixer

I don't seem to recall my kids dropping sea monkey eggs into my Nova Slot processor. But what is that *STUFF* that grows in there? Kinda nasty. Some stuff is clear and floating around and other stuff is like coffee scum.

How come it don't grow in developer? Maybe because it is more acidic? No clue.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sulfur? Some of it will be formed on the surface, and float. Some will be formed in the liquid, and gradually "congeal" and sink slowly. Your fixer is dead, mate!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    Sulfur? Some of it will be formed on the surface, and float. Some will be formed in the liquid, and gradually "congeal" and sink slowly. Your fixer is dead, mate!
    Oh darn. I thought it would be something more interesting like alien eggs or something like that. Well, good thing my local pusher is only a few blocks from work.

And I bought that fixer tester a few weeks ago too. Didn't even use it yet cause I suspected something in my Nova was probably dead.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    . . . Your fixer is dead, mate!
    I disagree. It's Alive! It's Alive! (had any lightning storms lately?)

My guess is that what you're seeing is the photographic equivalent of pond scum. My assumption is that soluble elements of the emulsion combine with bacteria from the air (or, whatever) and the solution starts forming "life". I've seen the same sort of thing with wetting solution that has been left standing too long.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    My guess is that what you're seeing is the photographic equivalent of pond scum. My assumption is that soluble elements of the emulsion combine
    But why fixer? Not developer? Hmmmm, makes you wonder.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Your fixer is dead, mate!
    No, it's not! It's just pining for the fjords!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The place I rent a darkroom I was changing the film fixer one day (a 5 liter opaque bottle)...It was some what going black (very exhausted stuff!) and I found a spoon in there...all black and very etched! I did a fixer check before discarding the stuff and found the fixing time to be 45 minutes! Sometimes it is goooood to discard the chemicals!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Be responsible and make sure whatever it is gets nailed to a wooden board and correctly classified before being wiped out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wonder...if left unchecked for a few million years...what will it grow into? Maybe a new species of grey haired, grey beareded, jolly looking being?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin