Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,543   Online: 1079

Shooter
    35mm

Expired film shooting and processing

I recently was given a bulk loader with quite a lot of unknown film in it. The guy who gave it to me, says it's about 20 years old.
    As a first test, i shot a small piece of film at 100 iso, and i stand developed it in Rodinal 1:100. The film turned out to be Tri-X 400.
    Of course, base fog is tremendous, and the images are a bit overexposed.

I now want to improve the results a bit.
    I'm thinking of shooting at 200, but how can i develop it best?

Shoot at 200, develop for the time indicated for 400, or shoot and develop for 200?

I'll be using Rodinal to develop. I know it's not ideal, but i'm just getting the hang of controlling contrast with agitation and dilution.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    HC110 is popular for old film, it produces less base fog than many developers.

I would probably develop for the full time to get the best possible contrast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been shooting TXP expired in 1980 at half speed and developing in Rodinal(1+25) for whatever time given for full speed. No mater what, base fog is present, so shoot it to take advantage of the effect. These were shot using TXP120
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bracket fungi.jpg   mamiya-6_005.jpg  
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    IME the issue isn't the contrast rate it's simply getting the detail you want above the fog so I'd shoot it at 1/2 the recommended speed for any given normal developing regime. Where you might normally shoot 400 just shoot at 200 develop for 400, where you'd normally use 800 at the camera shoot 400 develop for 800...
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the info!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurens View Post
    I now want to improve the results a bit.
    I'd give the expired film away and use fresh film while it is still available.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have fresh film in the fridge for 'serious' photography.

I'm not using fresh film to test old cameras for light leaks and focus dial calibration. Even if i'm only using it as a test, i want to get the results as good as possible with the means i have.

I actually planned to give some of it away, but i'll still be developing this film since i usually develop for my friends.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    do you have a print developer with metol and hq in it ( like dektol )
    i would use that, it makes film less foggy
    shoot the film half speed 1:7 for about 7 mins

have fun!
    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    35mm
    I do have dektol actually. I'll try that too.

Shooter
    35mm
    I hated Tri-X for years. I tried XTOL, HC-110, D76, Rodinal, PMK Pyro, et al. I got rid of all my rolls (100 ft.) I found a frozen roll the other day, expired (1987). I used TD-3, stand, for 1.5 hours. My dilution is (for the bottles that make 40 litres) each bottle goes into a gallon jug. I then use a 14/14/300 mix (lots of trial and error with other films). The day I found the Tri-X, I was like, "I'll try it with my stand go-to developer" as I was not using this combo when I was being disappointed by Tri-X for years.

I placed an order for 15 100 ft. rolls of Tri-X the next day.

Now, I realize that this combination may be the look that I want and no one else may care for it. I just know that for my eyes, there is no going back.

I have apologized to the god of Tri-X many times since my epiphany.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin