Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,476   Online: 990

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Ilford Warmtone paper with Ilford Warmtone Developer- not very warm?

I decided to do some enlarging today, for the first time in a long time (all this shooting with my Rolleiflex got me back into the idea of making some silver-gelatin enlargements). Maybe I've been completely corrupted by how warm a palladium print is in comparison, but I broke out the Ilford Warmtone developer I had stashed (thank you, Simon Galley!), and I ran a few prints on Ilford Multigrade Warmtone paper. To my eye, they're not very warm - more like just not cold. Is this what I should expect, or is there something wrong? Anyone out there have any experience with this combination?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I get that same result. WT paper base has some definite cream tone but the emulsion itself doesn't really turn warm. Not cold however....

I really didn't see much difference between Dektol and Ilford WT developer.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Scott, I think what you're seeing is normal. It's a subtle (but definite) warmtone effect. If you enlarge on a sheet of the regular multigrade and compare, you'll see the difference. If you want some more pronounced warmth, I recommend the DuPont 6T (thiocarb) toning system--it'll give a wide range of obvious warm tones. Are you finishing with selenium? That seems to deepen the blacks and slightly increase the overall warmth.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I haven't toned anything yet. They're still either on the drying screen or in the final wash. I did pick up a bottle of Ilford Selenium toner to try. I'll also give a whirl at printing some tomorrow on my remaining old stock of Bergger VCCB, which gets much warmer in warmtone developers.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I get some fairly chocolatey tones from that combination but I'm getting even warmer with MGWT in LPD stock.
    Perhaps not as warm as a straight pd but that has it's variables too I suppose.

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Also my experience. I like the Ilford WT paper a lot, it is one of, if not my favorite paper but I would like to see it warmer. Selenium toning helps a bit but this paper is not easy to tone.
    Maybe I will give the LPD a try, thanks for the tip.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Here's the more successful of the two good prints I got out of yesterday's session. It actually comes across warmer in the scan than it is in real life.

This is more typical:

Shooter
    Large Format
    Higher temps, shorter times will give you warmer tones.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    try foma #542 paper
    website down for maintenance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had good warm tones with the paper, you need to cut dev times to a minimum and increase exposure to get more warmth. I don't process for longer tthan a minute when I require maximum warmth.

Ian

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin