Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,767   Posts: 1,516,462   Online: 906

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think you have 2 choices:

A tubular film TMax 100 (or other brand) and testing to find which developer and development technique will provide you with the best result or

Take a vacation to Coratia and buy as much EFKE 25 or 50 as you can afford.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ilford Pan F Plus. Order it and pay the shipping. It's worth it. I've been in love with it since the early 1970's, had a few years of separation and recently had a reunion. It can be overly contrasty, so give it plenty of exposure and cut back on the development time--cut back a lot if you're using a condenser enlarger.

It's my "tripod" 120 film. I use HP5 Plus as my handheld 120 film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just looked at Ari's pictures made with FP4. They look right on the screen.
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=5208

I just can't seem to figure out what the problem maybe, can you post a small section of a 30x40 cm enlargement? You cam enlarge your pic and print in 5x7 pieces to save paper
    Is it grain that bugs you?
    Can it be a problem with the enlarger/lens?
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively
    Ilford Pan F Plus. Order it and pay the shipping. It's worth it. I've been in love with it since the early 1970's, had a few years of separation and recently had a reunion. It can be overly contrasty, so give it plenty of exposure and cut back on the development time--cut back a lot if you're using a condenser enlarger.

It's my "tripod" 120 film. I use HP5 Plus as my handheld 120 film.
    My only concern with Pan F is the long term (or even short term) availability. It seems that the large film manufactures which have tubular products are dropping their slow films, Kodak Panatomic X, Techo Pan, Agfa 25, I have used Pan F in the past both 35 and 120 and liked it a lot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "My only concern with Pan F is the long term (or even short term) availability. It seems that the large film manufactures which have tubular products are dropping their slow films, Kodak Panatomic X, Techo Pan, Agfa 25, I have used Pan F in the past both 35 and 120 and liked it a lot."

But if we don't buy the great traditional films that are available, they will surely disappear for lack of a market. I know a lot of people like TMax and Delta but I really hated all the tab grain films I've tried and would hate to only be left with that option.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I concur with the recommendations of Pan F as your "tripod" film, where you're looking for extremely fine grain and some creamy character. If you want fine grain and an austere, technical look, try Fuji Acros 100 in a fine-grain developer.

I'm unclear on your impression of FP4+ not giving you the "fidelity" you're looking for. FP4+ is my "standard" film for 35mm, and I've found it to provide what I'd call a hi-fi representation of everything I've photographed with it. Assuming proper exposure and development, of course.

[COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with rbarker. I think Ilford FP4+ is the best all around film for handheld photos in daylight, but since we are discussing a "tripod film" here, I believe that EFKE 25 or 50 are the very best if you do not care how slow a shutter you will need to use. Ilford PanF+ is a very close second. Agfa 25 would be #1 if it were still available.

I would be interested to hear more about the anomolies in the EFKE 100 emulsion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As previously stated, I think PanF+ in Rodinal 1:50 11min is really great. And my fav. APX100 in Rodinal 1:50 15min. The problem I had with Efke 25 was that it was really really contrasty, a lot more than any roll of PanF+ I've developed. But if you can tame it the tones that I did get were very nice. I need to try it again though.
    -Grant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This i dont understand, MF only good for 5x7"? Used to use TMY120 / D-76 1:1, no problem up to 40x40cm. But maybe personal taste is different. Been using 4x5 lately because I need the S/T from the LF not grain (besides it's more fun!). Have had good experience with APX100-120/Rodinal while in school, but both not available where i live (3rd world country, Indonesia! So i beat your country world by 0.5!). Have to order everything from B&H, Calumet, Photographers Formulary you name it. (Somebody mentioned: How far are you willing to suffer for your art?)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If FP4 is your "fast" film... you've got some steady hands!

I use the FP4 at 64EI in HC110B. But I have found that your grain will very much be affected by your agitation routine. Give it a try with 30sec initial, and then one inversion at the half-way mark in your time. I give the time an extra 30 seconds to make up for the compensating development in the highlights. Very fine grained.

Alternatives: Pan F for sure, if you can find any to be bought. It seems to be one of the products getting the chop. Supreme above them all is Technical Pan though...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin