Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,559   Posts: 1,573,291   Online: 949

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Fomapan R100 not developed as reversal

Hello everyone,

I have a question, if I may trouble everyone. I have a chance to get a large bulk roll of Fomapan R100, which is reversal black and white. Long story short, I would be developing it in ID-11, not as reversal.

I did a lot of digging and reading around the internet (what little info there is) and have seen mixed results on this. It seems 50-50: some people say forget it (anti halation won't come off), and others say it's possible - with D19 or even Rodinal, but dense negatives.

Does anyone here have experience with it? Would you say forget it and go with a regular B&W film?

Thanks in advance!
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    35mm
    The R100 can't be developed as a negative. It has a very stubborn rem-jet black layer that will not dissolve in a common film developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the replies.

Is the remjet layer anything like the one on Kodachrome 64?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by IloveTLRs View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

Is the remjet layer anything like the one on Kodachrome 64?
    Data Sheets - R100 - http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl/documentatie/F_pan_R_en.pdf
    K64 - http://www.kodak.com/global/en/consu...ts/pdf/e88.pdf

The anti-halation layer in R100 is between emulsion and base, and is removed by the process chemicals. The Kodachrome layer was on the back of the film and (IIRC?) was physically removed in the processing machine. (All googleable if you need more info. )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks again!

I remember removing KR64's remjet layer with a sponge. I was hoping I could do the same with R100 but it seems impossible. Too bad.

Shooter
    35mm
    It is supposed to be a silver layer which will be removed by the bleach in the reversal process. One data sheet indicated that it COULD be developed as a neg, so their may be two versions out there.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting. I originally found Freestyle's entry on it here: http://www.freestylephoto.biz/411813...-35mm-x-36-exp.

Where they say:
    Can be developed in standard black and white chemicals to get a negative but film optimized for slide process
    Note that I wasn't ordering from Freestyle, so I don't want to point the finger at anyone. With some further Googling I found a few forum posts around the web where people said it could be done. Hence my confusion, and I suppose it is possible there are different versions. In the end I decided to cancel my order and go with a "regular" black and white film.

Edit: Here is a thread on photo.net discussing it: http://photo.net/black-and-white-pho...g-forum/00Szgi
    Last edited by IloveTLRs; 06-19-2013 at 03:29 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: additional information

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cmacd123 View Post
    It is supposed to be a silver layer which will be removed by the bleach in the reversal process. One data sheet indicated that it COULD be developed as a neg, so their may be two versions out there.
    Thinking about it, IIRC, there some postings last year that Foma had issues with supply of film base, or similar, which led to some products being revised or reformulated? Maybe there is more than one version....I haven't time right now, but will try to check it out later. (I've used R100 as a reversal film, with good results, so am interested in this).

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin