Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,207   Online: 709

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Thoughts on TXP (not TX) at 1250?

My son has his preschool graduation in a couple of days, and my wife suggested that I should spend the occasion annoying people by running around with a Speed Graphic. It's probably a good idea---certainly it's right in my areas of expertise.

Thing is, the only 4x5 film I have in hand is TXP, a film with which I'm not especially familiar. The room isn't especially bright; I'll drop by and meter tomorrow, but I'm guessing I might have to go to EI 1250 or so to be able to handhold. PC-TEA seems likely to be my best developing option (the MDC has an appropriate time for Xtol 1+2, which normally is interchangeable with PC-TEA). I have Diafine, but two baths in trays sounds like a pain. Or I could mix up a batch of Donald Qualls's "Super Soup" if I need a really extreme push; if I remember aright he got something like EI 5000 with TXP, but I don't know what the results looked like.

Well, this isn't a mission-critical event, just something I'm shooting for fun. (I'm old enough to be one of those "Who ever heard of a preschool graduation?" people.) So I don't mind doing some experimenting, but I'm curious if anyone has done this push or something similar with TXP before and can share any results or advice.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I pushed some TXP to 3200 with hc100 1:100dil and stand development 2.5 hours with 1hr agitation. It worked well for some shots and not so well on other... Now I want to shoot some more See my pics, "James" and "Ri"

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Should work, but why not just pick up box of TMY400 instead? TXP can be finicky and I wouldn't want you to waste it. You might even consider just shooting medium format as preschool graduation may not warrant breaking out 4x5 film. :-)
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't like the taste of t-grain much. If I had my choice I'd do this on TX400, but now that they only make it in miniature formats... :-)

Jaybob, I appreciate the images---those look pretty darn good, and it makes me want to revisit stand dilution with HC-110. (I tried it once with TX and the results were interesting, but technically far inferior to a conventional push; there are so many variables in these things, though.) I'm curious: What were the problems with the shots that didn't work so well? Empty shadows, blown highlights, both?

My big concern would be not enough highlight compensation, I guess; the boomerang curve of TXP suggests that pulling extra information out of the shadows might end up overdeveloping the highlights. Which does suggest two baths or stand development, doesn't it? Maybe I'll do some experiments tonight.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The Ri shot came out nice, James was thinner than I expected. Another shot I got was this one http://www.flickr.com/photos/jason_madsen/6791526690/ I got some strange emulsion marks, I don't know where from. I was shooting an open box I got form someone. Haven't done a stand since I shot these... I need to shoot more...

K-G
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    In Kodak´s Tri-X publication they list developing times for TXP 320 in Xtol at 1250 ISO , both as roll and sheet film. Look at pages 7 and 8 in the enclosed file.
    Good luck !

Karl-Gustaf

http://wwwse.kodak.com/global/en/pro...4017/f4017.pdf
    Karl-Gustaf Hellqvist

www.heliochroma.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Bring a flash and shoot TXP at box speed or slower is how I'd handle it. I don't generally like the results of pushing a film.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin