Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,631   Online: 685

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Super Iron Out

Shooter
    35mm
    @johnielvis: what a great story! I agree with you 100%.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's still weird that some people get different results with exactly the same set ups, distilled water, etc. I mean for example processing of Fomapan reversal : I cannot get a transparent base without use of KSCN, although many forumers all over the world can (there are others who can't, as well). This stays a mystery. The problem has a solution, but well, what's the reason for such differences if really all factors are fixed ? Besides, KSCN doesn't necessary cause loss of density, or ''quality'' (whatever that means to you), it depends on the concentration used. Images speak for itselves (even though telecine is crappy) : Fomapan R100, exposed 100ASA processed in Dokumol 1+9, 5g/L KSCN, 20C, 13 min : https://vimeo.com/68006498

Will try Eukobrom for less contrast, I guess.

Shooter
    35mm
    Tonite I've made another attempt in my never-ending quest.
    This time I've reduced the Pq Universal to 1+9, 9 minutes, Kodak style inversions, 20°C, plus 0,3g/300ml hypo.
    Bleach and clear as usual.
    Then Iron Out 2 teaspoons in 300ml distilled water for 6 minutes.
    Then Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner 10ml/300ml for 10 minutes.
    Fomapan 100 classic reacts to this with a light chocholate red brown hue, very interesting. It's not red, it's not warm toned.
    The selenium toner has counteracted the light image caused by the hypo and added much contrast. The DMax is finally there, can't get better than this. I must project the images to have the final say.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by johnielvis View Post
    dude, that movie looks way overexposed....
    Oh, I see the problem then...
    To me it looks just fine, there are no burnt highlights (except one overexposed scene in the snow) and the blacks are black, to me. Anyway, the results are better by far with KSCN than without, so I don't have much choice...

PS : if you look at the thumbnail of the video, the part on the guy, under the bag, on his back, is as black as the sides

Shooter
    35mm
    I agree with Tokef (whom I thank for the piece of advice of using Iron out that I was given by mr.datsun) that without a silver halide solvent the highlights are muddy.
    The key point is to carefully find the right amount of it.
    To me the ballpark is between 0,2 to 0,5g per 300ml.
    Fomapan 100 classic exposed at 125.
    Last edited by Alessandro Serrao; 06-23-2013 at 04:08 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by johnielvis View Post
    maybe it's my monitor then--it's just a laptop---can't see any detail at all in the whites--light colored clothes look pure white with no detail on my monitor.
    It's mostly the telecine too, the dynamic range on film isn't reproduced well by the digital camera. Anyway, back to the topic...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro Serrao View Post
    I agree with Tokef (whom I thank for the piece of advice of using Iron out that I was given by mr.datsun) that without a silver halide solvent the highlights are muddy.
    The key point is to carefully find the right amount of it.
    To me the ballpark is between 0,2 to 0,5g per 300ml.
    But it's no absolute truth, it works for some and it doesn't for others. Why ? That's a mystery...maybe it's rather the perception, or the idea of ''quality'' that varies, and not properties of water or other factors.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Tofek View Post
    But it's no absolute truth, it works for some and it doesn't for others. Why ? That's a mystery...maybe it's rather the perception, or the idea of ''quality'' that varies, and not properties of water or other factors.
    I think the problem it's the personal perception we have of quality.
    It would be interesting to swap some examples, in the past I've sent some slides by mail.
    We can arrange something like that, for example we settle on experimenting a single emulsion and then we can trade some examples to see the results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, that would be quite interesting.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin