Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,217   Posts: 1,532,131   Online: 1042

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Yes you did, however it has been my experience on APUG that people skim the posts. Important things need to be said more than once for them to sink in. As far as devotion to Rodinal is concerned you will hear mention of the Church of Rodinal in older posts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Now why didn't I say something brilliant like that? Oh, I did. Agreed. But since I enrolled on here, I came to note that Rodinal has its fans. Some things defy understanding.
    You know, it's at least the third time in the same thread that you down talk Rodinal. It's getting really old. Rodinal has its fans because it's a brilliant developer! It does what it does with wonderful results, and if you could open your mind a little bit and see things from the perspective of other people, like Ralph Gibson for example, it would be really wonderful.
    You're welcome to dislike a product, but that doesn't make it universally bad.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    You know, it's at least the third time in the same thread that you down talk Rodinal. It's getting really old. Rodinal has its fans because it's a brilliant developer! It does what it does with wonderful results, and if you could open your mind a little bit and see things from the perspective of other people, like Ralph Gibson for example, it would be really wonderful.
    You're welcome to dislike a product, but that doesn't make it universally bad.
    I'll block the tread from my homepage to avoid temptation. Remember, it's all in fun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Ralph Gibson for example, it would be really wonderful. You're welcome to dislike a product, but that doesn't make it universally bad.
    Neither does liking a product make it universally good. All developers have their strengths and weakness and consideration of this fact should determine what is used in a particular situation. Gibson had a particular look that he wanted. But this look may not be for everyone. I use Rodinal when it gives ME something I want but I would not blindly recommend it for everyone.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 06-28-2013 at 11:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Neither does it make it universally good. All developers have their strengths and weakness and consideration of this fact should determine what is used in a particular situation.
    I never said it was universally good. Just that some people love the product, and for good reason.
    Photographers obsess over technicalities too much. A little grain doesn't make or break a photograph, but how you use your head does.
    I specifically mentioned Gibson because all he uses is Rodinal, with Tri-X 35mm film, and his pictures came out ok...
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you want high speed with small grain and plenty of contrast, I would strongly suggest you try TMY2 (Tmax 400). In Xtol it works nicely out to about EI1600 with contrast that can be tamed and with Rodinal you can get EI800 from it without any particular effort. The grain is far, far smaller than with HP5, even using Rodinal. I wouldn't hesitate to make a 24x30" print from 6x7, i.e. 11x16" from 35mm; it will have visible but subtle grain at that point.

I have several 16x20" prints (from 6x7 TMY2, so that's slightly less enlargement than an 8x12" from 35mm) which are nearly grain-free. One at EI400 (normal contrast, though the lighting is contrasty) and one at about EI3200 (extremely dim flat lighting just after sunset on a day with full overcast, developed for EI1600 and printed at high contrast for a noirish look).

And you don't need much more (IMHO) than 1/125 for street shooting. If I can shoot street at 1/125 with a 6x7 SLR (usually 110/2.8 lens), you're doing something grossly wrong if you can't get sharp shots with a Leica at that speed. I only shoot 1/250 if I'm using my 250APO.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I get tired of these threads that dump all over other people. If you think Rodinal is a terrible developer then maybe you are just a terrible photographer. Ever think of that? If your photographs are better than Ralph Gibson's, then by all means, show them to us! The world will bask in your glory... But you offer nothing Tom1956 except vitriol. Images mean everything; developers mean nothing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Now why didn't I say something brilliant like that? Oh, I did. Agreed. But since I enrolled on here, I came to note that Rodinal has its fans. Some things defy understanding.
    Rodinal has its fans because it gives superb results with the right films, it's particulary good at bringing out the best all round qualities of modern T grain (and similar) films like Tmax 100, Delta 100, APX100 etc. I used it as my main dveloper for about 20 years before switching to Pyrocat HD.

Contrary to many comments some of the finest grain images I've seen made with 35mm films have been with APX100 and Tmax100 developed in Rodinal, of course APX25 was finer but it's bee discontiued for some time now.

Rodinal needs careful temperature control accross the whole process cycle including washing to get the best results but then this is true of all developer/film combinations.

Ian

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images

what if: I'm rowing across the ocean ...

Quote Originally Posted by TheToadMen View Post
    Hi guys,
    You're all absolutely right, there are nice alternatives.
    But maybe we just like to fool around (I mean to test) with Rodinal and Ilford film, just to see what it can (not) do and to what extend we can influence the process and results.

To quote Bill Watterson: "You mix a bunch of ingredients, and once in a great while, chemistry happens."
    and Davey Coleman: "Creative thinking may mean simply the realization that there’s no particular virtue in doing things the way they have always been done."
    +1

Relax everyone and respect each other. This thread is just and only about having fun with testing Rodinal, to see what it can do. Not about preaching or dishing Rodinal or whatever. Please humor us in our diluted ways ....

It's about having fun and fooling around with a certain developer at hand and still having fun, not judging or disqualifying any other developer.

If I want to dwell on how get to the USA or Australia from Holland by rowing boat, you can tell me it is easier to go by plane, but if I only want to use a rowing boat this time - silly as it may be - tell me how you think I can do this best & safely, instead of comparing the track records of several airline companies over and over. I love airplanes and next time I will take one, but just for now I would like to dwell on the thought of roaming across the ocean, just because I can - like the Dutch did since 1602.
    Please indulge me on my foolish ways and join the conversation just for the sake of it.....

Let go of all your experiences, certainties and traditions for once and say: what if ..... and have fun
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The purpose of the test (and my original question which lead to it) was an attempt to get the best out of what I have. I recently changed to HP5+ from FP4+ for the reasons I gave previously. I had also used Rodinal/Adox Adonol for many years and had just purchased a new 500ml bottle, so was looking to capitalise on my investment.

I am fully aware that there are other more capable developers, but I (and a small band of sad people here ) like Rodinal and the results it gives.

Like the engine in your favorite old car/motorbike/lawnmower/boat, it's a worthwhile and rewarding experience tuning to get the best from it. You will of course get a few who will say, "why not just by a new car/motorbike/lawnmower/boat".

Peace.
    "All I ask for is an M5 with a fast lens, a roll of HP5 and a street to shoot her by."

StreetPhotographyBlog

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin