Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,168   Online: 890

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 378910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    Am I the only one who sees uneven development in the 4th image? (1:100+salt). Right hand side. A less busy subject will show that even more. Stand and semi-stand is risky that way.
    Now you mention it, image 4 (1:100 Salt) definately has a large 'streak' of lightness to it on the right hand 3rd, which doesn't appear in the straight 1:100.

Could it have something to do with the salt, though it doesn't appear in the 1:25 Salt? An effect of the long developing time maybe?
    "All I ask for is an M5 with a fast lens, a roll of HP5 and a street to shoot her by."

StreetPhotographyBlog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My guess is the lack of agitation.

I find it fascinating watching two liquids of differing colors mix, all the shapes are amazing, even after some time there can be lighter and darker areas indicating differences in concentration floating around.

Agitation helps mitigate the differences that may be floating around.

Also the specific gravity of the chemicals has its effect.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This thread is quite entertaining. Keep it coming.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting vid, interesting comments.

I might offer a suggestion.

Acufine diluted 1+1 or 1+2, will give you a pseudo-compensating development with fine, sharp grain and plenty of punch. I used to use Acufine almost exclusively, but I haven't been shooting in low light as much as I used to, or doing ridiculous push processing, so I've mostly been using Xtol or D76.

See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This thread seems to be like a 1970's rerun of what we already know. Rodinal is a fine developer best used on low-speed traditionally formulated films, such as APX-100, FP4+, Plus-X, etc. When used on 400 iso films, it is going to give large grain -- the size depends on the film. HP5+ is at the high end. Tri-X is borderline. Personally, I like the look on APX-100, but would never use it on a 400 iso film. Xtol was formulated specifically to overcome these issues (among others) with higher speed films and if grain is the issue, Xtol is your friend...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Hi Ming Rider (MR) and fellow Apug'rs. I was intrigued by what MR was doing so I had to do the same

I had a roll of HP5+ that was shot on a plastic camera and have some Ardonal laying around and thought I'd try to replicate what MR was doing. So the fact that the below was shot on a plastic camera, err, take that with a grain of salt

The images look great (remember this is a plastic 28mm lens camera with prob a 2 cent lens ), except sadly I have that right side streaking that was seen in the orig 1:100+Salt scan that MR showed. Should one be able to solve for that streaking, this might be promising....

Notes: I used a tank that holds 900ml. I put in 1 blank reel, then reel w film, then 2 blank reels in the tank. 891ml distil water with 27g of Kosher Salt diluted into it (in line with the 30g/l theory of MR). 9.5ml of Rodinal (well really Adox's branded Ardonal). Agitated for first min, stand, then agitate 10 sec at 30 min, 30 min more stand, then drain, stop, fix, wash; all in line with how MR did his test....

I love the look (I like my grain, which is why I love this combo), just not lovin the steak....

Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well if you like the look the good news is you can have it without the non standard agitation. Agitate conventionally, as Ilford recommends is a good start, work out a time that gives the contrast you like and expose properly. You'll have what you like and evenly developed negs as well. No need to over complicate things.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Agree, I usually use Rodinal 1:25 or HC-110 with my HP5+; however, when Ming Rider (MR) possibly found a unicorn solution, I had to give it a go - biases asside. I am going to say that the neg above looks great, just not for me due to the streaks . I have to confess, of all the times I have done stand or semi stand, I get streaks, so it continues to not be for me, though dont let that dissuade anyone. Test with your tanks, agitation, water, etc.....

I just want to stop and thank MR for making me think different about something. Though it wasnt for me (1:100+Salt), I was jazzed following this thread and happy to give it the old college try....
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    Hi Ming Rider (MR) and fellow Apug'rs. I was intrigued by what MR was doing so I had to do the same

I had a roll of HP5+ that was shot on a plastic camera and have some Ardonal laying around and thought I'd try to replicate what MR was doing. So the fact that the below was shot on a plastic camera, err, take that with a grain of salt

The images look great (remember this is a plastic 28mm lens camera with prob a 2 cent lens ), except sadly I have that right side streaking that was seen in the orig 1:100+Salt scan that MR showed. Should one be able to solve for that streaking, this might be promising....

Notes: I used a tank that holds 900ml. I put in 1 blank reel, then reel w film, then 2 blank reels in the tank. 891ml distil water with 27g of Kosher Salt diluted into it (in line with the 30g/l theory of MR). 9.5ml of Rodinal (well really Adox's branded Ardonal). Agitated for first min, stand, then agitate 10 sec at 30 min, 30 min more stand, then drain, stop, fix, wash; all in line with how MR did his test....

I love the look (I like my grain, which is why I love this combo), just not lovin the steak....

Actually the right side, since this started as a negative, has been developed more causing the lighter positive image. The area to the left did not progress as far.

That doesn't change the method needed to fix the issue, it just lets us define the problem properly...
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    ^ Nice intel Mark

Onward and upward....now whose got the unicorn-finding-solution?

Or will we end with the unicorn getting away again...

C'mon Ming Rider, what'a got up your sleve in that chicken shack that can solve the ROD issue (right-over-develop)? Any eye of newt or frogs breath that you can add into the mix to catch this unicorn? We've a lot of folks rooting for this to fail....I'm rooting for ya, just out of ideas too
    Andy

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin