Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,451   Online: 1023

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 59101112131415161718192021 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If a photographer has control of the darkroom variables, it is much easier to make artistically successful choices in the darkroom.

And if a photographer understands his/her darkroom processes, it can be rewarding to experiment, because the results of the experiments are more likely to be understood, and any "happy accidents" are more likely to be repeatable.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Experimentation ... experimentation... like Thomas B and Matt above have suggested. I can't really suggest anything for that combo, but I've found this photographer who has gotten it right:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zgodzinski/3447881393/ - pushing HP5 to 1600 and developing with R09-rodinal for 24 min, at 20C. I dont know how he did it without lowering Temp.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zgodzinski/3443036818/ -same here.

He looks like a very accomplished photographer, and he latter changed to TriX-Rodinal combo.... exceptional work...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nothing against the photographer and his abilities, they are in 120 and do not show grain as much. To see what a developer can / can't do use it in 35. It will reveal all it's strengths / weaknesses.

Here is a few 35mm HP5 shot at ei 3200. This would be 1:100 semi stand at room temp. Pretty boring skill wise.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4102416846_8fed887279_d.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	71064

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4060395555_0a9a3a5eda_d.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	71065

I was developing for acutance.
    Get it right in the camera, the first time...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So earlier in this thread I was trolled over scanning negatives and not printing and somehow that made my opinion of Rodinal irrelevant. Well I ran into a cheap Beseler 23C II yesterday, and after a couple of tests I got this to come out (apologies for the dust bunnies; this really was intended to be nothing more than a test run).

first darkroom print! by magnus919, on Flickr

35mm Tri-X in Rodinal (I don't have notes but I'm about 75% sure this would have been a 1:50 mix, following Massive Dev Chart time/agitation), printed 5x7.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hmmmmm... Dooonutssss

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    viridari, welcome to the club.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome!!! Sir.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    35mm
    Viridari,
    I have to be honest here for a second.
    You can't get over the fact (hallucination?) that you got "trolled". The trolling in question was me correcting you from spreading blatant misinformation. You we're actually recomending a very bad technique (stand development) as a magical measure to drastically reduce grain while, in truth, it is comon knowledge that agitation has no effect on grain. Never.
    As far as I'm concerned, the trolling was more about you spreading misinformaion then me correcting you.

You now have a darkroom. That's good. That's a nice first step. Now may I suggest that you go out shooting more serious subjects. Ansel Adams didn't get famous and respected by shooting and showing off pics of junk food restaurant interiors and people strobed in their face. That's if you want to be more technical and to sound more knowledgeable when you give advice.

The second step is to start using proper FB paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow, isn't that an attitude.

I will think of you every time I develop stand with reduced grain.
    Get it right in the camera, the first time...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    NB23, I didn't ask you for a critique of my subject matter or of my development techniques. Please go play in traffic.

I'm perfectly happy with my photos, printed, scanned, and otherwise. Your suggestions fall on deaf ears, as your opinions are rude, unwelcome, and fly in the face of results that plenty of us stand developing types are more than happy with.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin