Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,291   Online: 961

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mono View Post
    Go with 1:50 and lower temperatures.
    HP5+, 400 ASA, 23 min at 16 C.
    There is an article (http://home.arcor.de/piu58/fotoweb/a...ze/Rodinal.pdf) about Rodinal development with lower temperatures, but only in German.
    That is from me. If you have any questions do not hestiate to ask.

For short: Use Rodinal at 16°C, with longer development time. The factor is around 1.6.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by piu58 View Post

For short: Use Rodinal at 16°C, with longer development time. The factor is around 1.6.
    Lower temperatures have no effect on a film's grain size with any developer, nor do higher temperatures of up to about 28-30°C it's a total myth and been proved many times by research at the major film companies.

However because of the free Hydroxide in Rodinal poor temperature control across the process cycle can result in micro reticulation, the hydroxide softens the emulsion, it can be worse at higher temperatures as the swell of gelatin is also temperature related working a lower temperatures can cover up bad technique. The results of micro reticulation which is a surface effect is more apparent graininess in prints and scans, but the actual film grain is normal.

Agfa used to recommend mixing up Rodinal with a weak sulphite solution if you needed to prolong the life of a working solution this also helps give finer grain.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Further reading:http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Rodinal/rodinal.html

I have not tried them myself, but other folks have and say they work.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Wow, thank you all for the tips and advice. I couldn't believe my eyes when I checked the thread tonight.

For the record, I like grain. It gives my photo's a look that I like. Just slightly smaller than golf balls would be nice though.

Changing to another film would be a bit awkward at the moment as I just spent 50 quid on a 30m roll of HP5+. Another developer would be interesting though.

Now going to have a read of the links.

Cheers,
    "All I ask for is an M5 with a fast lens, a roll of HP5 and a street to shoot her by."

StreetPhotographyBlog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you're open to changing developers, I will suggest Xtol 1+1 or 1+2. Much less grainy than Rodinal, but with less loss of resolution/sharpness from solvent effects than you would get with D76. You'll also get at least one stop more film speed. It's definitely a different look than Rodinal and you may not like it, but it WILL help reduce the obtrusiveness of the grain. Or you might like it; who knows.

Using Xtol doesn't make the grains smaller, it reduces their intensity. If you think of grain noise as being a wave (variations in density with respect to position), then Xtol reduces the amplitude of the wave, not the wavelength.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I do think there are probably some "improvement" to be had by switching to XTol, DD-X, D-76, or Perceptol BUT it isn't even close to what a film change would get you AND finer grain means less sharpness, you can have one or the other. Only you can decide which is more important.

So, onward to considering the example shot you provided, why not just step closer to your subject?

Cut the distance by half or 2/3 (with the same focal length) and you have instantly reduced the size of the grain in relation to your subject matter by half or 2/3.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Finer grain doesn't mean less sharpness, in fact it often means better definition and sharpness on a macro level, but a grainy print might have more apparent sharpness from a distance.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Stand development is definitely going to be the way to go here. I'd try 1:100 for an hour. 15 seconds of slow agitation, then swoosh it (like you would a glass of fine wine) three times at the 20 and 40 minute mark. Temperature doesn't matter too much with stand, but keep it in the 20 degree celsius range. I've never done HP5 with stand, but I can imagine it'll work similary to Tri-X.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    So Ian, it was my understanding that for a given film, fine grain developers essentially make a slightly softer images than high sharpness developers. For example that XTol used straight would produce finer grain than XTol at 1:4 because at 1:4 it has less solvent effect to smooth the edges. Am I off in that thinking?
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by piu58 View Post

How do you agitate?
    Andy

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin