Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,965   Online: 783

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121317 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Rider View Post
    Cheers,

The downside of living in the country and with the wife away - I had to grab whatever was to hand. I did consider the Cats, Dogs and Horses, but they wouldn't stand still long enough.
    I live in the country side too, so the cats, dogs and horses wouldn't be a problem. I could even toss in a sheep or two:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Casein_print_15jun13_ 058.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	70700 (our Devon & Cornwall sheep, yes: from the UK too)

But finding that kind of brick wall will be a challenge ...
    I'll think of something suitable.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Wow, nice pic'. Round here some would call that a good night out.
    "All I ask for is an M5 with a fast lens, a roll of HP5 and a street to shoot her by."

StreetPhotographyBlog

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Bert,

Forgot to say that because the light was so good, I had to shoot at f8 as the shutter was maxed at 1000th.
    "All I ask for is an M5 with a fast lens, a roll of HP5 and a street to shoot her by."

StreetPhotographyBlog

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quick update.

All four test strips are now processed. Just waiting for the last to dry, then will scan a frame from each and upload the results here.

StreetPhotographyBlog

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Wow, nice pic'. Round here some would call that a good night out.
    P.S. That was a joke.

StreetPhotographyBlog

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    P.S. That was a joke.
    No problem, thought so.
    And if my daughters would dress like this, they won't go out at all
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    35mm RF

The results are in . . .

The results are in, and I must say it has been a bit of an eye opener.

Firstly, I would like to reassure everyone that by doing this test, it is not my intention to tread on any toes. Nor am I out to prove anyone right or wrong. In this thread, I gratefully received a great many suggestions, all of which I took on board and put together in this series of tests. Like a `Mensa Test`, there are no right or wrong solutions. Each has it's own merits but at the end of the day, it comes down to personal preference.

All test strips were Stopped for 1 minute with constant agitation. Fixed for 5 minutes, with constant agitation for the 1st minute, 10 seconds every minute thereafter. Then rinsed using the Ilford method and swirled in Wetting Agent. Then squeegeed and left to dry naturally overnight.

First up is (my usual method) theRodinal 1:25, 20c for 6 minutes, agitation for the 1st minute, 10 seconds every minute thereafter.

On inspection, I was quite happy with the result. As this was the first strip scanned, I had nothing to compare it against . . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rodinal-1-25.jpg   Rodinal-1-25-Crop.jpg  
    Last edited by Ming Rider; 06-27-2013 at 07:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.

StreetPhotographyBlog

Shooter
    35mm RF
    . . . next, Rodinal 1:25 + Salt (same method as above).

After scanning this one, the difference was quite a shock. I particularly like the results of this one. The salt, whilst not making much noticeable difference to the grain, has boosted the contrast throughout the image to another level.

After viewing this, I realise the standard 1:25 seems quite 'bright' and not as clearly detailed . . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rodinal-1-25-Salt-Crop.jpg   Rodinal-1-25-Salt.jpg  
    Last edited by Ming Rider; 06-27-2013 at 07:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.

StreetPhotographyBlog

Shooter
    35mm RF
    . . . next up, Rodinal 1:100, 18c, 1 hour, constant agitation 1st minute, 10 seconds agitation at 30 minutes.

What I find apparent here, is that there's very little difference in contrast with the 1:25 standard and also very little difference (if any) in terms of grain size, clustering or shape. Maybe with the weaker dilution but increased time, the results are the same. Two ways to skin a cat, if you'll pardon the expression . . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rodinal-1-100-Crop.jpg   Rodinal-1-100.jpg  
    Last edited by Ming Rider; 06-27-2013 at 07:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.

StreetPhotographyBlog

Shooter
    35mm RF
    . . . and finally, Rodinal 1:100 Salt (method as standard 1:100).

What's apparent here is that there is a more noticeable difference with the 1:25 Salt. With the rake head for example, the contrast seems to have more balance, as though the salt was loosing it's potency over the longer developing time (?) Also, the grain appears more structured and `busier`. I am particularly pleased with the look of this negative . . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rodinal-1-100-Salt-Crop.jpg   Rodinal-1-100-Salt.jpg  
    Last edited by Ming Rider; 06-27-2013 at 07:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.

StreetPhotographyBlog

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin